Is planning consent needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just started to renovate a bungalow for a customer- new kitchen, bathroom, complete re plaster, rewire and small conservatory.Apart from the electrics where I will be using a self certifying electrician the job was straight forward enough, but now she wants a detatched garage.
Along side the bungalow,1.2 metres from its wall is what looks like an old chicken shed 6 mtrs wide by 20 mtrs long of wood with pitched corrugated roof.The customer wants me to demolish the shed and errect a double garage. I think she will need planning permission but she is adamant if she uses a prefabricated garage she wont. Could you please advise as I dont want the customer or myself to go down a route that would cause problems with the planners or building control. Many thanks Wes.

Sponsored Links
You need to google for ' permitted development ' to see if the size and location of the garage is such that it can be done without needing to apply for formal planning approval. Whether is made of brick, prefab concrete or old pallets will not matter.

The location will determine if b/regs are needed for the construction

Unless you are confident on planning matters, or can get this looked at by someone who is, then you would probably be better off putting the onus back on the client to sort out any permissions required

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back