Is Pressure Reducing Valve Necessary?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to fit a Triton 'Thames' thermostatic concentric mixer shower. It advises that for a combi-boiler system (which I have) that it should have a pressure reducing valve installed if the pressure is 5 bar or more.

Our pressure is usually well below 5 bar so perhaps I could get away without one?

What would happen if the pressure did exceed 5 bar? Would it damage the shower or would the water simply try to escape from the shower head?

Sponsored Links
Our pressure is usually well below 5 bar so perhaps I could get away without one?

Does it ever go above 5 bar? If it does then fit a pressure reducer and set to 5 bar. If it never goes above 5 bar then all is fine.

As far as I know it doesn't but what would happen if it ever did and I didn't have one fitted?

As far as I know it doesn't but what would happen if it ever did and I didn't have one fitted?

They can take the odd spike. If they say no more than 5 bar they would have tested to well over that.

Sponsored Links
Says he who has never done any professional plumbing in his life and is now busy googling Triton :rolleyes:

Most PRV's will be set to 3 or 3.5 Bar, although you can but ones that you set the pressure limit yourself.

If you install one on your incoming main and you have more than this pressure, it will keep the hot and cold balanced when using the shower.

If your usual pressure is way below 5 Bar, then you will be ok without one.

Most PRV's will be set to 3 or 3.5 Bar, although you can but ones that you set the pressure limit yourself.

He has Got it! Yes one set top 5 bar!! Fantastical.

If you install one on your incoming main and you have more than this pressure, it will keep the hot and cold balanced when using the shower.

Oh no! After I thought he was doing well. A pressure reducer is not a pressure balancing valve which showers require on most mains pressure systems. tsk, tsk.

He has Got it! Yes one set top 5 bar!! Fantastical.

Oh no! After I thought he was doing well. A pressure reducer is not a pressure balancing valve which showers require on most mains pressure systems. tsk, tsk.

What a load of tosh you come out with.

As fitted on all un-vented systems, the pressure reducing valve restricts the incoming pressure to 3-3.5 Bar.

If your incoming pressure is say 5 Bar then you will have approx 1.5-2Bar 'in reserve', so when taps are used on the balanced side of the valve the pressure remains constant.

As usual the trained ones on here are having to teach the incompetent BB what he has failed to google

Go back to respite and sleep you forum idiot, or at least google the correct info.

Idiot :rolleyes:

I'm sorry that I caused such friction :unsure:

I'm still curious though about what would happen to a shower that is overpowered by pressure if anyone knows.

the seals take a dislike to it in the end.

reading your post you haven't got to worry.

It advises that for a combi-boiler system (which I have) that it should have a pressure reducing valve installed if the pressure is 5 bar or more.
where does it mention un-vented!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back