is rcd compulsary

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a mates having a new kitchen fitted,he dos'nt want any new sockets installed but they want to put a couple of spurs behind a washer and fridge.
his consumer is the wylex rewireable type,the electrician has told him that the regs says he has to put his house ring (including kitchen) on a standalone rcd.
i know he should have the ring on a rcd for safety but does he have to agree to this. the kitchen company have told him they won't "sign off" the kitchen? if he dos'nt agree.
i think they have already tried to rip my mate off , the rep said hs company would charge him 500 quid for bonding in the kitchen but nod nod wink wink he knew someone who would do it for 250quid,{his consumer is the other side of the kitchen wall)
so if they put a couple of spares behind appliances does he have to agree, or if they don't fit any more sockets does it apply.

Sponsored Links
They are working on the socket circuit, and therefor have to ensure that the circuit complies to bS7671. An RCD is required to comply to BS7671 if any socket on that circuit "could reasonably be expected to supply portable equipment oudoors". The guidlines state any sockets on a ground floor should be protected by an RCD.

Lectrician said:
The guidlines state any sockets on a ground floor should be protected by an RCD.
Could I read up on those guidelines - are they are on the web?

No, he does not have to have a RCD protected circuit to be able to have the existing circuit extended or altered, as long as the circuit in question is able to sustain such additions, the main equipotential bonding would have to comply to BS7671 or be upgraded, kitchen bonding is not required. Their are other methods to provide RCD protection for portable equipment outside if he has rewireable fuses. It is however preferable to have RCD protection but this company are trying to force the issue.

Sponsored Links
davelx said:
ricicle said:
Gasman1015 said:
. Their are other methods to provide RCD protection for portable equipment outside if he has rewireable fuses.

Such as?

RCD sockets?

Bit expensive if you're going to fit one of these to every socket that could supply equipment outside the E - Zone.
You could have one I suppose and label every other socket as not intended to supply equipment outdoors.But what if the user cannot read or doesn't bother.......................................

thanks guys for your help,but which is it, lectrician says to comply an rcd HAS to be fitted,gasman says no,an rcd does NOT have to be fitted,

The user names are a clue ;)

Also, on a side note, will it be possible to isolate the appliances without removing them once the work is complete?

You say the spurs will be behind the appliances.

Surely it would be most convenient, and more than sufficiently safe, to put the FCUs above the worktop and just have outlets behind the appliances?

Yep, that is the standard way of doing things, or a bank of switches and outlets behind.

As I read the OP the spurs will be behind the appliances.

RF Lighting said:
As I read the OP the spurs will be behind the appliances.
That's how I read it, and its sounds really stupid.

they will probably put fcu's above work surface,but my question is about the rcd,thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back