rcd tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a kitchen has been run in a 6mm radial(no idea why 6mm) one side of the kitchen is the old red/black cable,the other is the newer brown/blue.
it looks like the kitchen is only a few years old and new sockets have been added to one side of the kitchen into the radial circuit,the rcd is a seperate unit to the consumer.
the problem the person is having is the rcd trips when the washer is plugged into the nearest socket (red black cable),but if anything else i:e toaster,kettle,it dos'nt trip,
so you would think problem with the washer,but if you plug the washer into the next socket along (same red black cable) using an extension cable the washer will go through a full cycle and the rcd dos'nt trip,i have had the socket off and changed it,all the connections are ok and can't see any other problems,
anyone any ideas please.

Sponsored Links
What were the RCD test readings like with the RCD in isolation, and also with the wiring connected?

What were the IR readings for the circuit wiring like?

......... if you plug the washer into the next socket along (same red black cable) using an extension cable the washer will go through a full cycle and the rcd dos'nt trip,......

Are you absolutely sure that socket is actually fed through the RCD?

Does the power go off when you trip the RCD?

thanks for the replys, rflighting,i don't have a rcd tester,but i could probably borrow one,what would i be looking for?and if it's the rcd or the cables.why does the washer work on another socket on the same circuit?

taylor,yes the kitchen is the only circuit on the rcd,all the sockets go dead in the kitchen.

Sponsored Links
i don't have a rcd tester,but i could probably borrow one,what would i be looking for?
you need the insulation tester aswell, but you also need to know how to use it or you will do some damage with the 500V DC it uses, sounds like you are doing electrical work on someone elses property without the right tools or training? doesnt sound right, can you expand?

fault finding is tricky, I am not a spark and am a big DIYer so i would have a look myself on my own house (i dont have time for a detailed answer right now) and then call a spark. It looks like you may already be at the point needed to call a spark.

if you plug the washer into the next socket along (same red black cable) using an extension cable the washer will go through a full cycle and the rcd dos'nt trip,i have had the socket off and changed it,all the connections are ok and can't see any other problems,
anyone any ideas please.
1) Is it a proper extension lead? Have you checked the cpc continuity on it? What happens if you use the lead but still go to the 1st socket? How long is the lead?

2) Have you checked for cpc continuity along the circuit? The connections may look OK at the first socket but if you've got a faulty appliance and no cpc beyond the first socket....

it's a 5mtr extension lead, i will check the continuity of the cpc on the lead and the circuit, thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back