Is sanding a ceramic tile an option?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a shelf that is not completely level which means the vertical tile to go on the wall needs a very thin piece of the tile removed (4mms at most)

I'm assuming if i use the tile cutter (circular saw) that it won't work?

Therefore, is it an option to sand away this small section of tile? I do have an orbital sander so was curious if it was an option to use it?

Many thanks
Gordon

Sponsored Links
It's very easy to shave off bits of tiles with a wet diamond saw. You'd struggle to sand it, but you could use a silicon carbide stone:

Thanks. I have borrowed a daimond saw, but i wasn't sure how it was going to work with thin pieces of tile. Are you saying the tile will behave in the same way as if i cut through the middle of it? I was concerned that it may chip away?

muirgord said:
I have borrowed a daimond saw, but i wasn't sure how it was going to work with thin pieces of tile.
I don't understand this.

By "thin", do you mean "narrow"?

And do you mean a narrow piece that you're trying to make even narrower, or a wide piece off which you want to cut a narrow bit?

Are you saying the tile will behave in the same way as if i cut through the middle of it?
I'm not saying that, because I wasn't aware you were attempting to do that.

What exactly are you wanting to do? :confused:

Sponsored Links
OK gcol - can you translate the OP's posts?

He is asking if he can make a cut near the edge of the tile as successfully as he can in the middle using a diamond cutter.

His post is far clearer than yours posted at 9.17.

gcol said:
He is asking if he can make a cut near the edge of the tile as successfully as he can in the middle using a diamond cutter.
Now you point it out to me it seems quite obvious - thanks.

His post is far clearer than yours posted at 9.17.
I didn't realise that it was a competition. :confused:

muirgord - now that I've finally understood your question, regarding cutting near the edge, it's very easy. You might find it easier using the fence to keep the tile true, but once you're adept (not careless though) with a wet saw you can cut all kinds of bits off by moving the tile 'freestyle'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back