Is the High street going bust?

not only are out of town supermarkets squeezing the high street but now the supermarkets are opening loads of locals and extras, so any small retailer is going to be obliterated. what is the point of opening small supermarkets opposite each other surely the planners can see that is a stupid idea.
do we want to end up with high streets filled with charity shops and estate agents.

Sponsored Links
I think the High Street will become housing.

Sponsored Links
Town 'A' lets Tesco build a store to the detriment of the high street and markets.
Town 'B' a few miles away sees many of it's residents travelling to town 'A' to use the supermarket, and it's own high street and markets start to lose trade...So they let Tesco build there to keep shoppers local.

Meanwhile town 'C'....and so on.

Having been a market trader for many years I've seen this happening for years.
Supermarkets with their free parking and the use of credit and debit cards have sounded the death knell for markets for many years...as they die off the footfall drops and small shops start to suffer.

The days of high streets half empty, apart from Estate Agents and Charity shops are here to stay.

Where I live, we have a huge ASDA store, across the road there is a Morrisons, opposite that there is an Aldi.

They have also almost finished one of the biggest Tescos stores they have ever built......and yes, its right behind the ASDA.

Luckily our high street is still pretty good with lots of shops and they do well, but there a many charity shops opening up now and we have always had lots of estate agents.

For the consumers its a good thing, the competition from the stores is benefiting us due to price wars, but for the small traders its a shame they cant compete.

our high street and others in nearby towns are majority pound shops ,charity shops, bookmakers , cash generators and pie shops, but this is anywhere in the country where the big supermarket has opened...all the huge supermarkets have killed the high streets off ..mind you the local councils dont help charging well ott business rates and ever more expensive car parking fees when the big retailers offer free parking

Sponsored Links
Back