Is the May 17th reopening a mistake?

Sponsored Links
In other news Boris has held a press conference to announce the measures he's taking to deal with the Indian Variant:

Nothing.

Apart from deploying the army to affected areas to carry out surge testing and supporting local council leaders to manage the response on the ground, accelerate the vaccine rollout in affected areas, extend opening hours of vaccination sites, increase community engagement programme to ensure as many people as possibe accept the vaccine and take regular tests and comply with self isolation rules if tested positive.

Yeah apart from that he's doing **** all.

Sponsored Links
Morning guys,

Just a bit of a personal update, I live in one these Indian variant surge areas (Formby, Liverpool) and I came down with Covid 2 weeks ago, which was confirmed with a PCR test. They don't tell you want variant you have, but putting 2 + 2 together I guess I've had this new variant, and hence I'm part of the problem. I have no idea where I got it from either.

I thought I might have had Covid back in early 2020 at the start of the pandemic when I had a cold I couldn't shift for weeks, but at that time there wasn't mass testing to confirm/deny. However, this past couple of week I've been hit pretty hard by the virus - not needed hospital or anything, but really felt like crap, terrible cough with luminous green phlegm and just felt wiped out.

My other half, who's had her first vaccine does 8 weeks ago, managed to avoid catching it from me to start with, but unfortunately last week she also tested positive for Covid too. It's affected her differently and basically she's been sleeping about 18 hours a day.

We're on the mend now but it certainly hasn't been a nice experience and certainly a lot worse then our possible previous encounters with Covid.

Of course, everyone is different and some people have no symptoms at all if they get covid. Personally I think the country needs to get back to some degree of normality, but I would just say that everyone should still respect the hands, face, space guidance nor assume that the vaccine gives you protection against catching Covid or getting ill (albeit it may just be to a lesser degree of seriousness).

Stay safe folks.

Compare that with many countries that clearly fiddle their figures downwards? I don't believe we get the truth and I certainly don't believe the hyped up nonsense you get from the majority of the British press.
You appear to prefer the hyped up urban mythology you read on the net. :rolleyes:
You obviously suffer from cognitive bias. You believe whatever aligns with your prejudicial view.

Hope they're not planning to cancel or delay unlocking. If there really is a danger from the latest new variant (strange how they're always 50% more transmissable/deadly than the last flavour :rolleyes: ) then how did it get here so quickly? Welcomed in by the government with the 20,000 people coming into the country daily. Don't suppose they could ban Indians due to cultural sensibilities. :rolleyes: Dhingies still coming across The Channel. It's almost like this new variant was welcomed in, maybe because they're reluctant to let us have any freedoms back. Maybe we should just let it rip, because we can't go on jamming the brakes on every 5 minutes. It's exactly like Xmas - chink of freedom then take it away again. It's looking like the promises of freedom for mass experimental vaccination will just be yet another broken promise. Suppose people need some hope to cling to.
There are rules for arrivals to follow, e.g. tests before arrival and during confinement, confinement on arrival, paperwork to complete. etc.

Well, I was thinking of returning to work in the next few weeks as I’m having my second jab next Wednesday. However, all I see and hear going past my workshop in East London are Indians/Pakistani's hawking up and gobbling on the pavement and that’s mainly the females! I think I’ll delay my return for at least another month or so and see how things pan out with this Indian variant first. I have a meeting planned with a potential client on Tuesday and they have been quite patient with me although if it does bear fruit I will probably delay the start date - if they’ll wait! If not, I’ll just have to pass.

Morning guys,

Just a bit of a personal update, I live in one these Indian variant surge areas (Formby, Liverpool) and I came down with Covid 2 weeks ago, which was confirmed with a PCR test. They don't tell you want variant you have, but putting 2 + 2 together I guess I've had this new variant, and hence I'm part of the problem. I have no idea where I got it from either.

I thought I might have had Covid back in early 2020 at the start of the pandemic when I had a cold I couldn't shift for weeks, but at that time there wasn't mass testing to confirm/deny. However, this past couple of week I've been hit pretty hard by the virus - not needed hospital or anything, but really felt like crap, terrible cough with luminous green phlegm and just felt wiped out.

My other half, who's had her first vaccine does 8 weeks ago, managed to avoid catching it from me to start with, but unfortunately last week she also tested positive for Covid too. It's affected her differently and basically she's been sleeping about 18 hours a day.

We're on the mend now but it certainly hasn't been a nice experience and certainly a lot worse then our possible previous encounters with Covid.

Of course, everyone is different and some people have no symptoms at all if they get covid. Personally I think the country needs to get back to some degree of normality, but I would just say that everyone should still respect the hands, face, space guidance nor assume that the vaccine gives you protection against catching Covid or getting ill (albeit it may just be to a lesser degree of seriousness).

Stay safe folks.

Sorry to hear that Andy, here's hoping you and the wife make a full and speedy recovery.

Morning guys,

Stay safe folks.

Great post, down to earth, sensible.

I'm glad you are ok, Covid is pretty nasty.

My wife got ill from the Covid vaccine, she felt terrible for a day....luckily unlike the real thing it wears off very quickly

Well, I was thinking of returning to work in the next few weeks as I’m having my second jab next Wednesday.
mottie going back to work...

That's like the second coming!

However, all I see and hear going past my workshop in East London are Indians/Pakistani's hawking up and gobbling on the pavement and that’s mainly the females! I think I’ll delay my return for at least another month or so and see how things pan out with this Indian variant first.
Always an excuse to milk the taxpayer...

Racism/sexism this time again!

;) That spike on the end of the graph I posted is covid by the way. Nice short one due to the time frame. The latest one would be higher.

Much fuss on here as usual. Yesterdays brief was pretty clear from their point of view. Indian variant is an unknown that looks like it could be more infectuous but not enough data to know. If slightly more infectuous than Kent ( a terrible place ) no problem. Lot more infectuous and it may beat the vaccination age rate plan . This could cause overload problems. I suppose people don't think about that as it's assumed that only "older" people finish up in hospital. The other aspect is effectiveness of the vaccines- not just against the Indian variant, any of them. They are confident due to testing etc but final proof is in the pudding. If you don't know what that means google it. As they have said some will still die and some will still need attention in a hospital. How many?

So what do they do - ease lockdown and see what happens and take what ever precautions they can. Extending lock down doesn't achieve anything and they can't go on forever. No other choice really. This is also why they ease in stages. The "problem" at the moment is that infection rates are low as lock down has worked - nice problem to have but it means it will take a while for them to get the info they need. One problem is that infections build in the young first and then move up the age range. It's always done that and not just because of misbehaviour. The Indian variant seems to be going that way. What it means in practice from their point of view is that anyone who suggests different is guessing - that's very likely to be correct.

Sponsored Links
Back