Is there a special way to hang a corner wall unit ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a kitchen fitted just before Christmas, which seemed OK but we (well, wife really) have decided that we could fit in another wall unit.

It's just a 600mm blind corner unit.

Is there a knack in hanging these ... the unit it will join too, already on the wall will obviously need rehanging, as it's currently about 340mm from the corner and the wall units are 300mm

thanks

Sponsored Links
This is one application where instead of mounting cupboards on the individual kitchen cupboard mounting brackets, like these:

Kitchen Cupboard Mounting Bracket.jpg

you might be better off using a long mounting rail, like this:

Kitchen Cupboard Mounting Rail.jpg

as they give you a bit of "shimmy" room, although you will need to notch the inner backs of the cabinets out with a jigsaw to allow the rails to run through. Once your cab is on the rails and levelled-up to the existing cabinet, take the doors off the existing cabinet and clamp the two cabinets together (this will need a couple of Solo clamps or QR clamps), remove the hinge cruciform plates from one of the two cabinets and screw them together using 3.5 x 30mm screws in the middle of where the hinge plate will be - flush the screw heads as you don't have anything to spare in terms of thickness. At the back put a couple of screws through to join the cabinets (I normally locate them just beneath or behind shelves so they are less noticeable/invisible). Replace the cruciform plates and rehang the doors.

you might be better off using a long mounting rail, like this:

thank you for your message .. I agree 100% regarding the wall bracket

We tried with the original brackets and after an initial wrong measure managed to get everying sorted. Didn't add the filler panel, so removed it and did the filler, now all OK

Next time I fit a corner unit .. 10 years time ... I'll get somebody in

Sponsored Links
I detest those little "tabs". They don't work on poor walls, they can be a PIA to get level (if you hit a hard inclusion when drilling the second hole) and they limit your ability to make adjustments. The long rails solve a lot of problems at a fairly low price

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back