Is there anything I can use to stop a leaking joint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there anything that I can use to wrap (or similar) around a leaking joint to stop the drip until I have enough time to repair it properly?

In the last month or so I have two leaking radiators and a leak under my sink...
with a small child it is hard to find enough time to fix them with leeway to deal with it if it all goes wrong and at a time of day were I could go and get a part if I needed to...

it would be great if there was something that would last a few weeks... I've seem stuff advertised...but not sure if any of it really works..

Sponsored Links
I've seen some sort of repair bandage that boasts it will hold under mains pressure but I wouldn't use it.

Fernox LSX is good but you would have to take the joints apart, easy job for plumber, not too expensive either.

Is there anything that I can use to wrap (or similar) around a leaking joint to stop the drip until I have enough time to repair it properly?

better fag papers :LOL:

never tryed any of the sealers on pressure pipework

but im sure some of the boys have ;)

No.

In the last month or so I have two leaking radiators and a leak under my sink...

Does it leak on the bit that actually goes directly into the rad, or from the valve connection?

it would be great if there was something that would last a few weeks... I've seem stuff advertised...but not sure if any of it really works..
I am, it doesn't.

Sponsored Links
One of the radiator leaks and under the sink I got fixed by my fabulous plumber at the same time as he serviced my boiler...

Now I have found another two rad leaks (I was under the floor when I noticed) - one was a very slow drip running down the microbore on the lockshield valve -where the microbore pipe goes into the valve - I ran my finger round it to see were the leak was coming from - wiped the dirt off and it has now got worse...nipped it up a bit but hasn't worked -think I might have to cut the pipe off. It doesn't look like 15mm valve - will I need an 8mm olive?

On the thermostatic valve side the floorboard was a bit wet around it - haven't dared to touch this one for now -in case I make it worse...what is the olive/reducer bit called that goes from the microbore to the 15 mm valve called and where can I get one from ....seen something in B&Q but it isn't the same -three parts - the one the plumber took off (on the fixed one) was two parts...

The first rad leak I had was so bad it stopped the others being noticed - I was literally topping up the pressure on the boiler every 2 days with only the hot water on...

Don't want to drain the system and then snap the pipe off or something....these small jobs tend to turn into a nightmare when you have a 2 yr old climbing on your back ... I could get the guy out to fix these...but I think it might cost a lot....some miracle tape would be great :D

You can either repair it properly, or botch it, suffer more nuisance and more damage, and then repair it properly. Or cut some expenditures, and use the money to pay a pro.
The more it leaks, the more corrosion you crate, the sooner your boiler will need repairing or replacing.

OK I get the message ...
Can you tell me what I will (or am likely to) find under the lockshield valve - is it likely to be an ordinary 8mm olive? And is there anything else I am likely to need...I have spanners/wrenches, pipe cutter and PTFE tape - I know there is loads of spare pipe under the floor so won't need to extend (even I mess up a good few times!!!)

I will need to go into the local town tomorrow to get the bits and tomorrow is a nightmare for me with my children's commitments- I will have 2 hours first thing on Wed am without small child to try and sort this...but wouldn't have time to go get more bits if it all goes wrong ...any help/advice appreciated...

I would pay the pro...but in theory it shouldn't be too difficult and believe me I need to save every penny I can to deal with all the other problems I have that I can't sort out myself!!!

Why don't you make a signature about being a single mum, saves you lots of typing. Do you really think it makes you some sort of special hero? Millions of you around, and some even manage a real job so they don't have to live of others.

Why don't you make a signature about being a single mum, saves you lots of typing. Do you really think it makes you some sort of special hero? Millions of you around, and some even manage a real job so they don't have to live of others.

Was there any need for that?

Well out of order. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Salty? May be. Can you spot anything that isn't true?

Women have a choice about getting pregnant; we don't get a choice about the ever increasing taxes that support them.

We deal with paying more and more tax without mentioning it constantly; let them do the same with their problems. If you can't afford kids, or can't deal with them, don't have them.

Actually I'm not a single mum ...my partner works very long hours ...and he isn't very handy at DIY (in fact he is very very bad at it!)

And I do have a part-time job (administrator for the local playgroup) - a charity so not very well paid and I also do the book keeping for 3 other local groups (all voluntary)....

We don't get any benefits....apart from child benefit ....

But we also have major things that need doing - which will cost thousands - like dropping the patio which was installed above the damp proof before we bought the house...

I don't think I am trying to be a hero ....or asking for sympathy - just trying to explain why a botch for a couple of weeks would take a bit of pressure off...

Maybe I should have said 'for various reasons I won't have time to make two journeys into town or to go to several places when I'm there... and then I will struggle to find time again for a couple of weeks (school holidays...)'

But then I'm not very good at being concise...

but then I'm not judgmental either...

So - can anyone tell me what I am likely to find when I take the lockshield off - just an ordinary 8mm olive? -and where can I get the olive/reducer thing for the thermostatic valve and what is called?

Women have a choice about getting pregnant; we don't get a choice about the ever increasing taxes that support them.
It takes two to tango soft lad, don't you think the men involved have a choice about whether to support their offspring.
Besides, you know nothing about this girls circumstances, her husband may have died of some terrible disease or been blown up in Iraq for all you know. Don't be so judgemental.

So - can anyone tell me what I am likely to find when I take the lockshield off - just an ordinary 8mm olive? -and where can I get the olive/reducer thing for the thermostatic valve and what is called?

a lot of water if you don't drain the system

;)

8mm olive any of the sheds or a merchant

reducing set , merchants but tbf is usually the olive thats shot usually thro being overtightend
pis of said valve might be a help :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back