Is there anything I can use to stop a leaking joint?

Sponsored Links
Actually I'm not a single mum ...my partner works very long hours ...and he isn't very handy at DIY (in fact he is very very bad at it!)

And I do have a part-time job (administrator for the local playgroup) - a charity so not very well paid and I also do the book keeping for 3 other local groups (all voluntary)....

We don't get any benefits....apart from child benefit ....

But we also have major things that need doing - which will cost thousands - like dropping the patio which was installed above the damp proof before we bought the house...

I don't think I am trying to be a hero ....or asking for sympathy - just trying to explain why a botch for a couple of weeks would take a bit of pressure off...

Maybe I should have said 'for various reasons I won't have time to make two journeys into town or to go to several places when I'm there... and then I will struggle to find time again for a couple of weeks (school holidays...)'

But then I'm not very good at being concise...

but then I'm not judgmental either...

So - can anyone tell me what I am likely to find when I take the lockshield off - just an ordinary 8mm olive? -and where can I get the olive/reducer thing for the thermostatic valve and what is called?

Ignore the silly gas man. He's prob having a crap day. I think he was simply getting at the fact that you dont have to justify asking questions or not having the rights bits to hand for a job. If you keep your questions concise it makes it easier to answer, is all. Keep asking questions!

Sponsored Links
Thanks Sooey and kevplumber ... :D And I will try to be more concise Wabbitpoo - I know one of my (many) failings...

8mm-15mmm reducing olive from one of the sheds? Seen one on B&Qs website but it was 3 piece (had a normal olive with it) (like the image posted) and the one that came off the other rad was 2 piece -no ring olive.

Trying to take a pic - but waiting for camera batteries to recharge...

Make of Thermostatic valve is Danfoss and it is definitely 8mm microbore and the valve looks 15mm...

Lockshield definitely looks like 8mm ....the nut is about 10mm wide...
Will post pics when batteries are charged...

8mm-15mmm reducing olive from one of the sheds? Seen one on B&Qs website but it was 3 piece (had a normal olive with it) (like the image posted) and the one that came off the other rad was 2 piece -no ring olive.
The newer ones come as one piece, when you tighten them up you'll hear a crack and it will go loose, just nip it up a bit more.

Here are pics -
first is the reducing valve off the fixed radiator...pipe is mashed cos I was trying to get it out to see if there was a ring olive underneath...but measured it first - so it is 8mm

And white stuff on lockshield valve is PTFE tape (I know a pointless exercise...but I had to try something...)

Thanks
Lucy

Can't see the pics - they are in my album 'leaking radiator'....

Salty? May be. Can you spot anything that isn't true?

Women have a choice about getting pregnant; we don't get a choice about the ever increasing taxes that support them.

We deal with paying more and more tax without mentioning it constantly; let them do the same with their problems. If you can't afford kids, or can't deal with them, don't have them.

How embarassing, what an `A` Hole.

Why don't you make a signature about being a single mum, saves you lots of typing. Do you really think it makes you some sort of special hero? Millions of you around, and some even manage a real job so they don't have to live of others.

That was one huge incorrect assumption on your part...

Actually I'm not a single mum ...my partner works very long hours ...and he isn't very handy at DIY (in fact he is very very bad at it!)

And I do have a part-time job (administrator for the local playgroup)

Do I see an apology winging its way to the lady? No, I thought not.

Quite want to run away and hide at this point with all the personal stuff ... but...

Went to grahams today got normal 8 mm olives - but the reducing olive looked a bit different from the one I had...only two pieces but taller at the point where they fit in the valve ... The guy there said it would be ok - unless my thermostatic valve was a Danfoss...which of course it is... he told me the only place to get one was to ask a plumber for one of his spares...

Unbelievably luckily I got one ... I saw a plumber getting something out of his van - stopped and asked him ...and he gave me an identical one - very very very nice people plumbers :D :D :D :D :D :D

But does anyone know where I could get them in the future....if two have started leaking more will surely follow...and I would like to be more prepared... and can't count on being so lucky (I should have asked the plumber guy but was just too surprised to think of it....)

Will tackle job tomorrow (and will drain down first.... ;) )
And thank you for all the advice and support....
Lucy

lusi

sadly the guy in grahams is talking balls

danfoss trvs come in 15mm (with a 15mm olive)
or 8/10 mm (with a 15 to 10 and 15 to 8 one piece reducer), the ones sooeey was talking about

you will get the one piece reducers from any big shed or merchants

Women have a choice about getting pregnant; we don't get a choice about the ever increasing taxes that support them.
All Hail Captain Condom...May your words of wisdom last forever :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back