is there some sort of calculator for making most out of a sheet of wood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

So, basically, I need to build some cupboards for storage for my shed. I have a few bits of wood (that I got as cut offs), so they are not all the same sizes, or type... however I have enough for what I need to build, but hoping to have enough leftover for other projects.

I can be really good at maths and if I put my mind to it, I can work everything out but I do take medication that makes concentrating on words and math harder. Anyway when I was at collage, I programmed software that would allow a gardener work out how many rolls of grass they would need for their garden, so I know I have the maths in me to work out the best way to use the wood without waste.

I don't have the money to buy software that helps design my projects, (like sketchers - or is that some type of shoe?), anyway if you know of a calculator online (free please) that would help workout how to get the most out of the wood I have, or at least the math formulas needed to do so. I had a quick google, but I can never get google to find what I want, I think I ask with too many words or in a way that it doesn't understand. I did find a post here, but the link in that thread is not working, and that post seems unreverent to what I am asking.

I am sorry, I do get carried away when I am tired, in pain, and taken pain killers and that with my autism, it makes me chat/type to the point I don't know when or where to stop. I will stop here, thank you.

Sponsored Links
You can use word.
In word Make a box whose scaled size matches that of your sheet of wood eg a 224.0cm by 120.0cm sheet would a box of 22.4cm x 12.0cm (at 10 to 1 scale)

Then make scalled boxes for all your cut wood sizes (using above example divide by 10) and move them round inside above box to best fit.

Sfk

Sponsored Links
you have to remember at joints iff its a butt joint you remove the thickness from the length off one component as in 18mm thick material cabinet 600 wide and 800 tall you deduct 36mm from the top and bottom 564
you really need to plan well and often you will have cuts from both sides on a big sheet with a step in the middle or live with the bit off waste to avoid this

try and select the best bits for the doors and visible sides and select flat and level for doors without a frame
i do a rough plan then an accurate plan on square paper

Pen (well pencil) and paper (well sketchbook) is how I am currently working it out now.

the word doc is not a bad idea, it can be used with normal paper, cut to scale and be like a jigsaw puzzle.

the software looks great, i never find what I am trying to find, thank you.

I have made the mistake of not including the thickness of the material twice, so will keep that in my mind…

also the blade thickness for example a 1220 sheet wont give you 2x600 or 3x400 it would be 598 or 398[not exact but you get the idea]
also when you lay the track on the mark line up to cut half the pencil line out waste side to give an accurate cut as half the pencil lead will be each side off the accurate measurement

further comments
are the offcuts all sheet material or timber planks ---planks need support both ends for full strength
sheet material in general needs a timber edging to finish and give support especially if heavy loaded and a big span

Bit of paper and a pen.
I always end up under ordering :cautious:

Missing_square_puzzle-AB.png

Have you tried Google?

Plenty of online calculators for what you want.
Even the app stores have cut sheet calculators so you can have one on your phone too.

I’ve used various sheet optimisers, the easiest to use I’ve found is cutlist plus.
they used to do a time restricted trial (30 days) which allowed full use of the basic programme.

it’s very easy to use.

most of the optimisers restrict free use so much they are useless for an actual preject

if you choose to do it by pencil n paper:

write out you full cutting list, like this

part no | Quantity. | length | width

A. 3 840 340

(note ”length” should be grain direction if your piece, not the longest side)

then draw the outline of your sheets

then draw in your components, write the part number as you go. - and mark off against your cutting list.

hatch any areas of waste and biggish spaces write O/C (off cut)

Do it as a formal exercise this way and you won’t have to keep much information in your mind as you do it.

When I ran a joinery shop, I usually did the cut plans for my guys as they struggled, so have done hundreds of these over the years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back