Is there such a thing as soft open hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

As title. For a loft hatch door to make it a bit more comfortable to open.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is this a hatch that swings downwards with gravity?

A drop down flap gas strut might work

Sponsored Links
My loft ladder , heavy timber used a heavy spring across the hinges to dampen the fall . You can also get hinges designed to allow softer opening .
One example is Hafele Avantos HK.
Used in kitchen cupboards but might be suitable .
(Easier to get a good finish on mdf )

My loft ladder , heavy timber used a heavy spring across the hinges to dampen the fall . You can also get hinges designed to allow softer opening .
One example is Hafele Avantos HK.
Used in kitchen cupboards but might be suitable .
(Easier to get a good finish on mdf )

Ikea use those hinges for their Metod range of kitchen lift up wall units - I use them for overbed cupboards

Last edited:
I was originally going to use normal cabinet hinges with one of these to lock closed, but now I'm thinking if it's possible to have a solution that self stays in place (the "Stays and Lifts" terminology in that Blum option) - would they be strong enough?

1697541047091.png

Last edited:
PS: I'm going to be using stops like in a normal door, so a push click equivalent won't work. My opening is 700mm x 700mm so door size will be around 694-696mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back