Is this a big problem ?

M

marsaday

On the power circuit all the readings at each plug says all is ok and each plug is earthed. But when you test the board it says there isnt an earth.

Does this mean i have a faulty wire somewhere ? How do you find the fault ?

Sponsored Links
How are you testing?

What are you testing at the board?

If this is a ring circuit, have you got continuity around the circuit?

yes it is a ring.

The board is 2 yrs old.

I dont think there is continutiy on the circuit

Sponsored Links
Anyone answer the question please. I am not a sparky, but want to know what potential problem this. If you cant answer it, dont post anything.

We'll try and answer your question once you've answerd ours.

What are you testing for?

What are you testing with?

Why are you testing?

"i dont think there is continuity" what the hell kind of answer is that??? Is that not the most basic test one can do of a ring final? That even a DIYer can do with a £5 multimeter?

On the power circuit all the readings at each plug says all is ok
What reading are getting at each socket outlet?
and each plug/(socket outlet) is earthed.
How have you proved this? What type of equipment are you using to perform test? What method of testing are you making?
But when you test the board it says there isnt an earth.
I didn't test the board but hey!
How have you proved this and what points are you testing?
Does this mean i have a faulty wire somewhere ?
Until you answer questions, you could have a fault on the circuit or incoming supply or you could be at fault.
How do you find the fault ?
Answer the questions being asked!

Have you got a socket tester?

Is the ring lights or sockets? If sockets, it may be a popped out earth wire. So you'll have to go round and remove socket cover on each point. Isolate the supply before doing this and use insulated tools. Always treat as live.

The main points hear are:
How are test being made?
Why are tests being made at sockets for earth then stating no earth at board? (this seems illogical and can not be) unless it is the supply earth that can not be proved.
If you are testing RFC circuit you test end to end continuity of CPC (circuit protective conductor) first before you test at sockets. if you have a reading you have continuity of CPC. You also test end to end of phase and neutral conductor. So then you now you have continuity of all conductors you can then do calculations on expected r1+r2 measurements, then take readings at sockets with differing legs of r1 and r2 connected across each other at the board.
On a radial you test r1+r2 by linking them at board then testing at each outlet. If you have a reading you have continuity.
So why state no earth at board are saying no earth or no CPC?
There are logical steps to testing, if you don't follow them, you can end up in a pickle!

The ring is the power for sockets

each socket works perfectly (little plug with all 3 lights coming on)

At the board it is showing there is no earth. what ever is used to test this, was used.

I dont have any more info. This was tested by a sparky mate. He is happy with it, but i wanted some other opinions.

Do you have a schedule of tests?
If you can't offer more info, we are banging heads!
If your sparky is happy with situation why has he stated no earth at board.
Normally a reference point at the links of the legs of the RFC can be made for r1+r2.
If your sparky has not used a a meter to measure continuity, how can he be happy. You need a measurement to prove it is satisfactory.
Buzzers and lights just say it's there, don't prove it's safe.
Is he really a sparky or just have a plug in socket tester in his kit?
Why were tests being made in first place?
Can we assume the plug in socket tester is working correctly?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back