Is this a cutout or a distribution box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG-20190117-WA0014.jpg

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Its a Cutout. An old metal one with what appears to be a DIY PME earth connection.

Its likely that the DNO would replace this rather than work on it.

Why does the consumer side line tail from the meter appear to be going back into the cutout?

It is , and the neutral must be joined inside the henley.
(Ive only been sent a photo, so not seen)
You can just about see the tails coming out of the left side

Sponsored Links
Why does the consumer side line tail from the meter appear to be going back into the cutout?
That puzzled me when we moved into this house, with a "not quite that old" cutout. Inside the cutout there are terminals for this - I suspect so the meter can be neatly stacked on top with the user connection being taken out the side of the cutout.
Photo in this post in my thread. See there's a terminal to the right of the fuseholder to take the line from the meter and line tail to the fuseboard. Meters don't need the neutral to go through them, so the neutral to the fuseboard can come straight from the cutout neutral terminal.

Ah, thought I remembered taking this snap. The house behind ours was bought for a snip by a young couple, and it must have been owned by a "Mr Mean" as it clearly had not had anything spent on it for decades. Anyway, still has the original electrical installation - until they have the intake position moved ...

You can see how the meter is sat directly on top of the cutout - and it would be impractical to bring the fuseboard tails out other than through the cutout. I guess it's one of those "it's how they used to do it" things.

20180412_173604.jpg

.... with what appears to be a DIY PME earth connection.
Technically, maybe. But, in my experience, DNOs don't fit BS951 earth clamps, so my guess is that this clamp has been "unofficially" fitted by a DIYer or a sark.
Adrian, I'm a bit confused. As I think BAS was probably implying/asking, why did you describe it a probably being a "DIY PME connection" (by which I assume you must have meant TN-C-S) when what we see is a clamp (of whatever sort) on the sheath of the incoming supply?

Kind Regards, John

As I think BAS was probably implying/asking, why did you describe it a probably being a "DIY PME connection" (by which I assume you must have meant TN-C-S) when what we see is a clamp (of whatever sort) on the sheath of the incoming supply?
whssign.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back