Is this a racking panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been told that the wall between my dining room and kitchen is a racking panel. The house is a kit that wall built 17 years ago and the external wall is 7m long and this wall is perpendicular to it 3m along. I removed the plaster board today and took these pictures. There is several gaps in the wood and the head rail has been built from two pieces of wood. It also looks like the panel was erected after the walls and ceiling was plaster boarded. Sorry some of the pictures are up side down.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Sponsored Links
Even with the join in the timbers, it could still be a shear (racking) wall.

I would have though that something structural would be installed and connected to other timbers during construction. This has been installed once the floor has been layed and all walls and ceiling have been plaster boarded. To me it looks like the kitchen was designed to be open plan and then the wall built at the last minute from what was at hand rather than as part of the kit.

Sponsored Links
I would have though that something structural would be installed and connected to other timbers during construction.
This is right; a proper shear wall should be supported by, and securely fixed to, a beam above and below. It ideally would be braced either by diagonal bracing, or stiffened by OSB on at least one side. Finally, it should be well-secured to the walls at each end if it is to provide any meaningful lateral support.
However, just because it doesn't have these, it doesn't mean that it is not serving any structural purpose. Sometimes defective designs are beefed up at the last minute at the insistance of an inspector.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back