Is this a resonable quote to fit a kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi had a howdens kitchen designed and priced up which came to around £4000 + appliances. The builder has quoted £2100 to fit it and reducing a section of boxing under the stairs, this does not incude any electrics or plumbing . I've already removed the old kitchen so it's all ready to go.

Is this a resonable quote to fit the kitchen? I wanted to do some of it my self but I just don't have the time.

Sponsored Links
Very expensive for what amounts to around 10 or so units. No plumbing or electrics too. I'd have wanted everything (including tiling etc) done for that price. What sort of worktop are you having??

Thanks for the reply, just normal howdens laminate stuff with a square edge. What do you think is the rough price I should be looking for.

I thought it included skimming the ceiling to get rid of artex but that's in another quote and it looked expensive considering the units other then the larders are pre built.

Sponsored Links
that does sound rather expensive,looking at yours pics i would say about 4 days work there. then maybe another couple for the tiling,and thats on my own,
im assuming theres also cornicing and pelmets to fit?only 1 mason mitre.

but this is going by your pics,seeing the job is totally different.maybe hes seen something that justifies that quote?

Theres cornice and pelmets, but no tileing as far as I know. He quoted with out seeing the kitchen design from the designer as well.

I've cleared out the kitchen and had it all rewired so shouldn't be any major problems. (Other then the stupid gas meter being in the way)

too far for me then,was going to offer to come round and have a look and maybe give you some advice?

i would defo get a few more quotes before you make your discission,maybe get some recommendations from friends neighbours.

My brothers got a mate that is will come have a look tommorrow.

Only problem is we've sort of agreed he could start in a weeks time. So if this next quote is a lot better going to have to back out. Hate ****ing people about, especialy as he's a sort of friend of my mother.

Anyway thanks for the help.

Greg

He ain't no friend to you at that price....you should have got more quotes to beginwith. How could e have given a price with out seeing the plan.

He came over had a look around gave a quote of what he we roughly wanted. Then got howdens in to do the design, I know he does usually charge even more then this and people say he works to a high standard.

We are in a hurry to get the house ready so we can move in, so I stupidly half aggreed thinking he's a friend it must be a good price. Then started to think that it seems a lot I better get some more quotes before it's too late.

I will have to diplomaticaly get out of it tommorrow.

i would simply tell him the bank manager has refused the loan you where taking out as 6k for the full fit is beyond maximum he is prepaired to lend for a property type in your area so you have had to get another 2 quotes
the builder [rightly so ]will be making a good mark up on the cabinets so can afford a bit off a hit and still make a good profit ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back