Is this a safe zone?

I agree with Ricicle, Davy and RF and ColJack too (socket could be better positioned). The reason the sockets are like that is that a 3m worktop just reaches to where the upper socket is. Also the low down socket is on the boundary of solid floor and wooden floor. I wanted the upper socket to be above the worktop for things like blenders, handmixers, kitchen radio etc. Low down socket is for hoover. Anyone know why the kitchen floor would be solid when the rest of the house is suspended wooden floor?

Sponsored Links
does it sound hollow at all??

in some old houses they had a pit under the kitchen to store rain water in for washing water and such..

my nans still has this pit

they filled it in on a lot of them so it might be that..

also the kitchen looks like it was a later addition ( hence the great big beam throught the middle of it? ) so they probably just poured a concrete slab for the floor since it's easier than a wooden one..

Don't think it's hollow. From the edge that you can see there's a couple of layers of bricks with the concrete stuff on top. I've currently got a serious case of optical illusion going on now. Everything in the kitchen is sloping one way, that's the ceiling, floor, worktop brickwork joins. It makes my sockets (which are level) appear to be badly sloping in the opposite direction. Also found an old bricked up door or window on the back wall as well as a buried junction box + cables for an old cooker!

BackWall.jpg

Just a quick update for anyone who may be interested. The BCO and the electrical inspector just inspected my first fix wiring. They were very happy with the standard of work. Thanks to all on here that helped with some great advice. In fact the inspector did ask for one small change. I ran part of the ring through into the utility room and then back into the kitchen (for later ring extension). I had surface clipped the cable to the utility room wall. I was asked to put that part of the cable in mini trunking to provide some mechanical protection which I don't have a problem with. Steve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back