Is this a supporting wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a little insight please, if possible.

I want to remove two walls in a bedroom to make it a bit larger. My neighbours with an identical house have done this, so i know its possible. What i dont know is whether they've just taken the walls out, or introduced extra support.

I appreciate it may be difficult to ascertain whether the wall is load bearing via pictures and descriptions, but its worth a try?

supporting wall (0).jpg

I want to remove walls A and B in the above photo. Wall C is the outside gable wall. Obviously there's a dormer too.
supporting wall (2).jpg

This is the view from above, showing A B and C. The wall on the left is not shown on the first picture, but is basically the wall just to the left of the cupboard.
supporting wall (1).jpg

This shows A and B. It doesnt appear that the rafters are resting on the walls, as i can push things underneath the wood, and they come out the other side. The thing i dont understand in this picture is the extra bit of wood going off to the right under the purlin. Its the edge of the dormer, its not actually on the top of the wall at all. Whats it doing there basically, is it a standard design?

Do i need to provide more info pictures, or can i make judgments with this information?

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back