Is this acceptable for a kitchen waste pipe

Waste water should go into the foul sewer, nothing else is acceptable.

Pipe should either make a direct connection to the drain or via a Trapped Gully.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for all your comments. I had asked for the Arco drainage as my garden slopes up from the house. Didn't realise the builder would use it for the kitchen pipe.
I'll follow up with the builder first and then the building regs officer if required.

Do you not have a CS/engineer overseeing the works on your behalf?

It would help the OP to know what should have been installed.

Shouldn't make any difference saying what should or shouldn't have been installed. The OP shouldn't have to bother himself knowing what should have been done. He is paying the installer to do it correctly and they should know what is acceptable and what isn't in those certain circumstance. It's not something the OP should have to worry about. There any various different ways that waste could be installed correctly, for me to advise when I'm not there on site without any knowledge of the drains and drainage systems would only be guesswork. AS suggested BC shouldn't sign that off, once they do then the OP know what he has is correct.

Shouldn't make any difference saying what should or shouldn't have been installed. The OP shouldn't have to bother himself knowing what should have been done. He is paying the installer to do it correctly and they should know what is acceptable and what isn't in those certain circumstance. It's not something the OP should have to worry about. There any various different ways that waste could be installed correctly, for me to advise when I'm not there on site without any knowledge of the drains and drainage systems would only be guesswork. AS suggested BC shouldn't sign that off, once they do then the OP know what he has is correct.

Shouldn't, agreed but you know how these things go, you need to be fully informed when bringing up points of conflict when dealing with contractors.
You get blown out very quickly otherwise.

I am surprised that these projects are not completed under the supervision of a client CS/Engineer. I would be looking to them for stewardship in these issues.
Going to a 3rd party, i think, needs some clear knowledge of what should be, before you tell them what shouldn't be.

Sponsored Links
Yup, some do want to be fully informed and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. A quick look at the building regs over waste and drainage will explain what should be correct and if anyone wants that level of info then TBH that's where they should be looking.

With a new extension ... the buck stops with Building Control and their sign off of the warrant/completion cert. That waste obvious shouldn't pass inspection therefore BC should get a hold of the contractor and get them to sort it so it complies, that's the way it's meant to work and what they are there for. It shouldn't really be down to the OP to argue anything TBH, certainly not at this stage IMO.

It shouldn't really be down to the OP to argue anything

It is common (in Ireland anyway) for people to "Self Build" and do a silo engineering approach to the design (or not), build and closure of building projects.
I think it is a barmy approach. It is akin to ringing up a builder and asking for a loft conversion, garage conversion, conservatory etc., and then expecting to just rock up with a check on completion and it all be hunky dory like you were buying a tin of beans from Aldi.
I include relying on a "Building inspector" for a quality check in that blind and deaf approach.

As many posts on this forum prove, the reality is far from that.

Hasn't anyone noticed the dpc???
That's a much more worrying problem than the waste pipe.
BC signs off anything nowadays, then it's up to the unsuspecting landlord to pick up the pieces.
Bodgers usually employ private BC inspectors so to get anything passed.

BC signs off anything nowadays

Cant agree with that sweeping statement. I know several sign off refusals over the last wee while by BC on new builds for contraventions.

One for the drains actually, stupid stuff but had to be lifted and relaid and another for contraventions against design where modifications to rooms were made that weren't on plan, one room had to have 2 walls re-built.

I dare say there may be some that will sign off anything though

Cant agree with that sweeping statement. I know several sign off refusals over the last wee while by BC on new builds for contraventions.

One for the drains actually, stupid stuff but had to be lifted and relaid and another for contraventions against design where modifications to rooms were made that weren't on plan, one room had to have 2 walls re-built.

I dare say there may be some that will sign off anything though
I've seen things signed off, especially by private BC, that no even a blind inspector would've passed. (Think sewage and related smell)

I've seen things signed off, especially by private BC, that no even a blind inspector would've passed
Oh don't get me wrong, I've seen some dogs dinners myself and my advice to those clients was, get in touch with the LA BC directly, as the inspector shouldn't have signed that off. One of the inspectors actually received a reprimand.

On the flip side though I have seen some real meticulous guys - usually from the LA's BC themselves, not the private guys - who have nailed some pretty obvious cowboy work and had it corrected straight away.

So far nobody commented on the dpc which will be a major problem a few years down the line.
BC should not pass that, surely.

Nope you wouldn't think so, not being a builder it's not something that would jump out at me, though now you have highlighted it, you would expect to see it. Certainly a question for the builder and then the LA BC if they're not playing ball.

Nope you wouldn't think so, not being a builder it's not something that would jump out at me, though now you have highlighted it, you would expect to see it. Certainly a question for the builder and then the LA BC if they're not playing ball.

It will cost the builder a lot, to correct it now it looks finished - not the op's problem though.

Bricks need cleaned. Hole filled.
Very untidy.
Any more pics, esp pipework inside

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back