Is this an LED light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am I right in thinking this is an LED floodlight? They should last a good while right? This one looks fairly new but isn’t coming on. What should I look for?

Grey cable runs into a fluorescent tube light which works ok.
8B8DD17E-A401-4852-89EA-E61D58CF6289.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Yes, it's an LED with a built in PIR motion sensor.

LED lights can be made to last for decades, however plenty are made to the lowest possible price and will last for five minutes.

Sponsored Links
Many PIR sensors are programmable by switching on/off/on etc. So a power cut can change the programming, also water can be a problem, I drilled a hole in bottom of mine, after checking was was inside, so water could drain out. It was well sealed at bottom so PIR filled with water.

I have moved from PIR controlled to smart switch controlled, mainly as the PIR would switch it off at most inappropriate moment, and when out I normally take my phone, so easy to turn on when required. The LED uses that little power having a timer is often better, but I do switch off to stop light pollution, on at 9 pm off at 10:30 pm on at 6:30 off at 7 am for milkman.

Better quality have some adjustment on light levels, time, and sensitivity, but as said when using 300 watt quartz (yes I know 150 watt is legal limit but we had 300 watt tubes at work) having it only one when required made sense, but at 15 watt, only problem is light pollution. And I do not want visitors at midnight, so see no reason to make an intruders life easy, better if they can't see what they are doing. Security lights need to be outside human visual spectrum so only the camera sees what is going on. Anyway more fun that way.

So I'm going to have to replace this. Any recommendations for brands to go for? Everything on Amazon seems to be the usual Chinese rubbish :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back