Is this an old gas tap? Can I cut it off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am hoping to put wood flooring in my hallway, but there is currently an obstacle in the way. It looks like a gas tap and has a little fixed key that can be turned.

Turning the key seems to do nothing, but I'm not sure what it actually is. Gas pipe?

It is currently covered in plaster after having my hallway done, but the key still didn't do anything before it was clogged with plaster.

Also, do you think I can just saw it off and lay the floor?

Thanks

Screenshot_20220728-191010_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• 20220727_220408.jpg
    20220727_220408.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 47
Sponsored Links
If it is “dead”, then it can be cut, but would need to be filled. Could always ring the Transporter for your area, see if they can assist.

Get a gas safe plumber ti check it out.
If it's still live, they will cap it under the floor safely.
If dead, they'll just cut it.

Get a gas safe plumber ti check it out.
If it's still live, they will cap it under the floor safely.
If dead, they'll just cut it.
If it’s a service pipe, a gas safe registered engineer can’t do it.

Sponsored Links
My gas supply actually enters the house in another room where my gas meter is. I am assuming this is an old pipe that does nothing. My house is a few hundred years old, so this sounds right, yes?

Are we all saying it is gas then?

I may be completely wrong, but the 'key' looks very much like a wing nut to me, with some electrical wire wrapped underneath it.
If it is pipe, could this be earth bonding rather than a valve?
....or a very slight possibility, could it be a poorly sited earth rod rather than a pipe?
Some (very) careful cleaning up, may give you a better idea.

Certainly does look like a wing-nut with a couple of washes fitted.
You need to carefully break away all the plaster thats covering it and then post another picture.
No point calling a gas engineer out if it's not a gas pipe.

How did you get on with this? Did you discover what it actually is?

Reactions: CBW
No. I still have no clue and I'm really frustrated now. Nobody seems to know

Do any of your neighbours have a similar house... If yes, then can you ask if they have something similar. Also, what IS your earthing arrangement - in case it IS the earth rod?

Well, this is an old house, and I think all earthlings is connected to the gas meter, which is in another room‍♂️

Have you managed to break away all that plaster/cement to see more clearly?
If it seems like a solid bar then chipping away with and old screwdriver/chisel won't do much harm and we may be able to give a better opinion on what it is likely to be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back