Is this asbestos in roofing area?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm really stressing about this as I have a nipper. About 2 years ago I bought a house with a garage. The garage seemed in a reasonable state of repair, but I've noticed some material in the ceiling area which I'm concerned as asbestos. It looks like the garage has had a suspended ceiling at some point which has been ripped out. It is what remains that worries me. See pictures, but on closer inspection the remnants seem fibrous. Bits have been left throughout the ceiling. Most of the roof structure is wood but there are some vertical panels which seem suspect along with pieces remaining on nails where horizontal boards once were

Sponsored Links
Quality of pictures are not a great help.
Some pictures just seem to show evidence of removed fibre boards.

Can you upload images to you album in settings?
How old is the property?
Normally if you do not disturb asbestos, you should and your children be safe.

Sponsored Links
Thank you so much gents, this has helped put my mind at rest.

Just thought it odd that a lot of these boards have been placed around the wood frames of the roof and I thought it may have been put there as asbestos fire protection.

If you're 100% sure, I'll stop worrying!

No need to worry 100% not asbestos!

Is the garage detached or part of the house, and what is above the garage ceiling?

You mentioned roof being of wood, so I assumed the garage is not below any living accommodation of the house?

The garage is detached and not below living accommodation.

The actual roof is some kind of hard plastic with a wooden frame below, parts of which you can see in the photos.

I was worried about the boards attached to the frame by nails which were attached horizontally as a kind of suspended ceiling and vertically as support/protection for the widen frames.

On the boards concerning me there is a kind of criss-cross pattern in one side and, me being a panicker, thought this was a sign of asbestos.

It does look fibrous when viewed up close - daft question but I'm now thinking this is because it's fibreboard?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back