Is this asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone

I'm not sure where to post this, however, I have found some debris in my backyard and am concerned that it might contain asbestos. There are several pieces of it throughout the yard. It looks like it might be an old planter box or water feature. I've taken some pictures and would really appreciate any opinions. It's quite easy to break and appears to be quite loosely bound. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how old it is.

Thanks

3E525443-C6D6-49D4-B701-65B75AF5727B.jpg
E29FCFC2-784F-4C98-A135-227E74CA0866.jpg
40430849-8AA0-4C2C-88D9-C9C452AF1FB0.jpg
8D6E06CB-8721-40F7-8EEF-ABFEA5776430.jpg
5A06FDE0-134A-4CE1-8694-4453272C1A6A.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It looks like it could be asbestos cement to me. You can get sampling kits on line quite easily so you can send of a piece to get it tested.

If it is white asbestos cement then you can carefully bag it up yourself and quite a few tips will accept it.

Thanks for your reply. I thought the same initially, however, noticed some large rope like fibres bound into it. It also looks like its in really thin layers in places so that kind of threw me.
Does anyone know if it was common to bind horsehair or thin rope into asbestos cement?
Thanks again for taking the time to respond

Sponsored Links
The fact that it is so thin and has a smooth and textured side, indicates that it is cement sheet not the more hazardous AIB.

With this product, the asbestos is the least hazardous and is well bound within the sheet so is relatively safe to handle.

Wet it, put it in a bag and seal it. You are ok handling it as it's outside. But you can wear a mask if you are concerned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back