Is this bathroom downlighter fitted correctly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a few of these downlighters in the bathroom (images attached), they sit slightly proud of the ceiling and I am wondering if that is by design or an installation error. They look slightly odd like that but I appreciate it might be something to do with sealing them from damp.
Under the white bezel there seems to be 2 other metal 'washers', then a soft white material (which seems to be crumbling) between them and the ceiling.
Can anyone confirm one way or the other please?

Sponsored Links
The fittings should be flush to the ceiling, the crumbling material could be some form of seal that was in-cooperated with the fitting, or botch up job by the installer! Hard to say!

Were the springs fitted to the correct lugs on the back? They should pull the fitting up quite tightly.

The springs are ok. With the 'washers' in place the lights can't get any tighter to the ceiling because the hole in the ceiling is smaller than the washer things. Maybe the hole should be bigger, but it would have to be very precisely cut because the white bezel is only slightly larger than the washer things (i.e. the hole would be barely smaller than the bezel).
Thanks for replying so promptly by the way.

Sponsored Links
Is there anything in the ceiling void preventing the fitting from sitting flush?
Generally if the hole is too big the fitting struggles to stay in place.
On some fittings the height were the springs are located on the fitting, can be altered to assist a better fitting.

No, it seems the fitting itself is sitting proud of the ceiling. I took one of them apart (see photos), so I can see now that the housing sits slightly proud of the ceiling because of the (disintegrating) washer beneath it, and the part of the fitting which holds the bulb has another rubber washer which also stops it from sitting flush with the ceiling. Maybe it hs to be that way for a bathroom light, to help keep moisture out?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back