Is this ceiling repairable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi:
This ceiling is cracked all over and i have raked out some of the cracks.
Will it be ok just to plaster or easyfill the holes or would a new ceiling be better ?
It is a lathe & plaster ceiling about 100 years old.

Sponsored Links
depends, does the plaster feel loose and coming away from the laths?

becasue these have a habbit of falling off in big chunks, ive seen the remains of a whole celing falling down, it would of severely injured the owner if they had been in the room at the time.

It is loose in places but there is only a roof space above so won't get walked on to much.
I was thinking of getting up above the loose bits and pouring some wettish plaster over the lathes from above.
would this stiffen it back up ?

id be more inclined to screw it up with some plasterboard screws, in to the joists if you can, or at least the laths.

Sponsored Links
It is loose in places but there is only a roof space above so won't get walked on to much.
I was thinking of getting up above the loose bits and pouring some wettish plaster over the lathes from above.
would this stiffen it back up ?

this method does work, and is worthwhile on an ornate old ceiling. It is labour intensive so always compare it to the cost of fixing new plasterboard.

Extra points you need:

remove all loose nibs from above, and clean the laths and plaster with a strong vac.

push the plaster up flat with a wide board braced against the floor below (any loose bits between plaster and laths or joists will prevent it going right up). Cover the board with plastic sheeting to prevent sticking.

fix expanded metal lathing to the joists, bent into trays so it is close to the laths (preferably use screws, as hammering may make the plaster worse). this is because the old laths may be dry and weak, or rotten, and their nails may have rusted away.

pour fine finish plaster, in a creamy flowing mix, so it covers the laths and EML

leave to dry well before cautiously removing the props and flat board below.

fill remaining cracks and redecorate

What sort of coving/cornice is there? If none then overboard and skim would seem the preferential route.

depending on the amount of hair used depends on how effective screwing will be as it helps bind it to the screw, if you are going for propping and pouring then may i suggest using casting plaster gaged with some hair.. casting is great as it swells slightly and sets in about 20 minsjust be really carefull not to disturb any of the slump between the laths

I haven't seen casting plaster. Is that what you'd use when making new cornice?

yes, i guage lime putty and casting plaster 50/50. The putty holds the set slightly its wonderfull stuff. I put ahandfull of casting in my skim if you need a quick set.

Where do you get casting plaster from? I have not seen it in any of the sheds, it sounds like it's what I need for plastering under my stairs, all really small bits and the skim going quicker would help get it done quicker, on the other hand i could just use dirty water.

my merchant keeps casting, if not contact british gypsum for your nearest stockist.. its basically plaster of paris

this method does work, and is worthwhile on an ornate old ceiling. It is labour intensive so always compare it to the cost of fixing new plasterboard.

Extra points you need:

remove all loose nibs from above, and clean the laths and plaster with a strong vac.

push the plaster up flat with a wide board braced against the floor below (any loose bits between plaster and laths or joists will prevent it going right up). Cover the board with plastic sheeting to prevent sticking.

fix expanded metal lathing to the joists, bent into trays so it is close to the laths (preferably use screws, as hammering may make the plaster worse). this is because the old laths may be dry and weak, or rotten, and their nails may have rusted away.

pour fine finish plaster, in a creamy flowing mix, so it covers the laths and EML

leave to dry well before cautiously removing the props and flat board below.

fill remaining cracks and redecorate

Of course, using either the above technique or fitting plasterboard is NOT recommended on a listed property! I note the type of plaster is not specified, but it doesn't sound like lime as that would not act as an adhesive.

On my (quite ordinary) 1830s listed property I have just (yesterday) finished removing the plaster from two ceilings (there was no decorative plaster work) and replacing laths as required, all ready for re-plastering with lime plaster in the traditional way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back