Is this DIY Gas or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am after a bit of advice about some gas work i need to have done and would like to know of what i am planning is ok.
Part of a kitchen extension involves moving the cooker from one side of the house (which currently has the gas pipe running alongside the outside wall) to the other side of the house.
I am planning to run the gas pipe in a channel in the concrete floor, and was wondering if i can install the pipe work from the new location across the room and through the outside wall, so that a plumber can connect this new piece to the existing pipework.
As a 'competent' person will be cutting into the supply, and testing all of the joints am i ok to do the rest?

Thanks for your help.
James

Sponsored Links
Strictly speaking it IS DIY gas. The installer would need to be sure that the pipe was sized correctly, allowing for elbows / bends, joints were made properly and any ventilation requirements met. You might find a gas safe registered engineer who would test then accept what you have done, but I wouldn't rely on it as they are not supposed to do so and would be in trouble with Gas Safe if found out.

No - A RGI must do it all . I can't do it and I'm a plumber, not Gas Safe Registered

It is not an offence for a householder to DIY gas. Assuming he is competent. Daft, maybe, but not illegal.
On the other hand, a competent person, lets say A BG RGI, would be breaking the law if he did not have his own registration, and charged for privare gas work.

Sponsored Links
If you want to save a little money.

Cut the chase into the floor yourself. Most RGIs would be happy with that.
Speak to one first though and get route/depth etc agreed;)

Cut the chase out as that will save a lot on labour, but the rest really needs dont by the RGI as when burying pipes in concrete tests must be done before burying etc and after which an RGI cant do correctly if you have already laid the pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back