Is this flue gas reading suspect?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a flue gas reading carried out by a local GasSafe engineer following a service, and so he disconnected it, telling me that it should be considered dangerous as the CO/CO2 ratio from his Flue Gas Analyser was 0.0405. I called out the manufacturers' engineer to see what was faulty, and he reported that the ratio was in fact only 0.0010 and within limits.

Now I'm piggy-in-the-middle, not knowing what to believe. The printout from the local engineer looks a little odd to me, as the readings include:
02% 20.6
CO2% -0>-
CO ppm 81
CO/CO2 0.405

The CO is only a little more than last year's test, but what does "-0>-" mean for the CO2%? Is this a blip which has caused the ratio to be wrong?

The meter ID (?) at the top is K450 1.0, but I'm not sure if that indicates who the meter maker is?

Thanks, Alec.

Sponsored Links
Your local "engineer" is clueless...his fga's printout is meaningless. Give gas-safe a ring and complain as he clearly doesn't have any idea what he's doing.

So he "serviced" it and then declared it dangerous and disconnected it! Some engineer there! I would go with the manufacturers engineer.

Was your service early in the morning?
I bet he left in Fga in his van over night?

Reading is useless. No c02 reading.

Sponsored Links
I had a flue gas reading carried out by a local GasSafe engineer following a service, and so he disconnected it, telling me that it should be considered dangerous as the CO/CO2 ratio from his Flue Gas Analyser was 0.0405. I called out the manufacturers' engineer to see what was faulty, and he reported that the ratio was in fact only 0.0010 and within limits.

Now I'm piggy-in-the-middle, not knowing what to believe. The printout from the local engineer looks a little odd to me, as the readings include:
02% 20.6
CO2% -0>-
CO ppm 81
CO/CO2 0.405

The CO is only a little more than last year's test, but what does "-0>-" mean for the CO2%? Is this a blip which has caused the ratio to be wrong?

The meter ID (?) at the top is K450 1.0, but I'm not sure if that indicates who the meter maker is?

Thanks, Alec.

All this has already been answered for you in your previous thread from last week - your first engineer is clearly a muppet who doesn't know what he's doing, you should refuse to pay him and get another engineer out to do your service and landlords' check. Baxi are most likely correct in their diagnosis that there's nothing significantly wrong with the boiler

I'm a little confused as to why you've started a new thread on this - were you hoping for a different answer?

Was your service early in the morning?
I bet he left in Fga in his van over night?

Reading is useless. No c02 reading.

See the OP's other thread from last week on the same issue. Engineer claims that annual calibration of his analyser isn't necessary as he cross-checks with a second one, although he wasn't able to produce any kind of printout from this mythical second analyser. Boiler is a Baxi of some description

Hi Muggles,
Sorry if I confused you, it was just that I hadn't given the actual readings in the original thread and felt that was the key to the problem. Be assured your advice was taken on board and was very helpful. I have now contacted Gas Safe with full details; it will be interesting to hear what they have to say about it all.

CO2% -0>-

What does that mean?, is it some sort of smiley?
Sadly not, it probably just means a complete joke!

Seriously, thanks to all for your help and advice. I now have the crucial information I require. Thanks to the wonders of the web, from the code on top of the printed report I tracked down the User Manual for this model of FGA. Here it clearly says that the odd figures in the printout for CO2 are an error code, one possible scenario is that the prong was inserted incorrectly. Maybe even the cold van option. Whatever the cause, trying to calculate a CO/CO2 ratio from a faulty CO2 figure is always going to be a disaster. I have brought Gas Safe into the equation now, and the £330 unnecessary prepayment to Baxi was reduced to a simple callout (which I don't begrudge) as they realise both I and they were given a faulty reading. And - surprise surprise - the original engineer's bill still hasn't been paid... and there's now one less contact in my little black book.
Alec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back