Is This Lead Kitchen Waste Pipe? If So, How Connect Plastic Waste?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, is this a lead kitchen pipe? I've tapped it and it sounds different to plastic waste - and where it goes outside, it has a green tint to it as per pictures.

Assuming it is a lead pipe, how do I hook up plastic waste pipe to it? I was preferring to use compression push fit rather than solvent weld.

I was hoping I can cut with circular saw close to wall and then somehow connect push fit system.... Can I do this?

Thanks

private-var-mobile-Containers-Data-Application-66-C19-F82-31-FA-4-FBA-85-EC-1-A9470473010-tmp-A169-DBDA-ECD0-4-C1-B-9-DE3-5073-E1720-F58-Image.jpg

private-var-mobile-Containers-Data-Application-66-C19-F82-31-FA-4-FBA-85-EC-1-A9470473010-tmp-DEE03261-6587-438-D-B472-6-F6-D89-CE40-F3-Image.jpg

private-var-mobile-Containers-Data-Application-66-C19-F82-31-FA-4-FBA-85-EC-1-A9470473010-tmp-5-E3-B9-B05-773-D-4-FE7-A05-E-7-A00-AE2-DF41-A-Image.jpg

Sponsored Links
That's appears to be solvent weld plastic pipe, you can see a solvent weld coupler in your last pic

It might sound different cause it might be full of crap

Last edited:
Given how cheap plastic waste is you would be far better off replacing the lot and starting again with nice clean waste

Sponsored Links
+1 for that, it's copper. Not really large enough diameter for a modern sink waste, and certainly not for a washing machine discharge. Ideally needs removing and replacing with 40mm plastic.

If you must keep it, 32mm compression coupling should fit, but be careful if connecting a washing machine, the machine may well pump out faster than the pipe can drain the water.

+1 for that, it's copper. Not really large enough diameter for a modern sink waste, and certainly not for a washing machine discharge. Ideally needs removing and replacing with 40mm plastic.

If you must keep it, 32mm compression coupling should fit, but be careful if connecting a washing machine, the machine may well pump out faster than the pipe can drain the water.

Oh that's a concern. They'll be like a 2m run from kitchen waste which will then hook up to dishwasher and then upto washing machine before passing through the wall. If the copper pipe 32mm section is left for just passing through the wall to the drain like 30-40cm is that OK? Could plan a fall just beforehand if needed.

Obviously the copper pipe is glued into the wall, and didnt really want to go to the expense of getting a plumber to remove and replace with new one... But if thats the best long term solution I will.

With 3 appliances using it, 32mm will be woefully inadequate, (and that's if its not gunged up inside), you need to change it, it's easier than clearing up a flood if/when something overflows.

Simple enough job, cut off and pull the existing waste out the wall, shouldn't take much to enlarge the hole.

OK, so guess as hole is already there, I can just get a long masonry drill bit (got a beat SDS drill) and drill/chisel through little by little, pull out pipe out. Line up 40mm plastic pipe to fit in.

Stupid question, how would you set it in the brick and then fill up from inside/outside? Assume expanding foam into the middle and then use like a pollyfilla internally and then small mortar patch for outside?

Depending on how tight it is in the wall, a thick piece of wood and a lump hammer can be used and see if it will knock through.

Back fill can be anything, foam, insulation, etc. The outside finish would need to be wind/water tight so a mortar render would be fine, the inside finish would be yes a finishing filler/plaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back