Is this off peak meter still in use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been to look at a rewire. I thought the meter on the LHS of the pic was redundant, but now wonder... there seems to be no supply 'out' although is the 6mm black cable some sort of timeswitching link to the new meter on the RHS?

View media item 11247
Can anyone advise? Client confirmed that they have off peak electricity.

Thanks

SB

Sponsored Links
The "meter" isn't a meter, it's the timeswitch, no?

Where do the red/black tails that feed that unit connect to?

Ah, maybe?

Both 'meters' are fed p and n from the company head. The fuseboard is supplied only from the meter on the rhs

SB

It's a teleswitch which tells the meter on the right to turn to low-rate. It also has a switched live outt o control storage heater loads, but this is not always used (if you dont have storage rads!).

All electric in the property will be cheaper at night.

OR

If the customer has a standard tarriff, the supplier will simply add both readings from the meter together and charge the standard rate for both, which works out the same as if you had a single rate meter. It saves them having to change meters on change of occupier.

Sponsored Links
Lectrician - many thanks for that clear explaination. They don't have any storage heaters, but looks like both the meter and teleswitch have to stay then. The lack of two tails 'out' of the teleswitch threw me!

The reason I asked was that I was under the impression that if you have off peak that you paid slightly more for your peak and therefore better to get rid of redundant meters - but maybe that's an urban myth?
Thanks again

SB

indeed if you are on an off peak tarrif, peak is more expensive.

but what they can do is use 2 meters or the 2 rates from a redundant off peak tarrif, and charge them at the same rate. ;)

We are on an E7 tariff here, we don't have any storage heaters, however I was under the impression that the lower running costs for the 24hour loads during the night (yes, all electrcity we use off peak is charged, off peak), balanced it out, we have the standard freezer, and fridge and also a home media server that runs 24/7, also a couple of computers seem to get left on overnight. and the clothes washer, tumble dryier and dishwasher get run overnight.

I'll have to do some calcs, me thinks!

If you heated one tank of water on E7 overnight that used to 'balance' you out to make it a worthwhile thing.

Many dishwashers, tumbledriers and washers these days have a 'delayed start' button to allow them to be used during the night.

If they do not, you can use a plug in timer assuming the white goods electronics do not prevent this (some will not initiate after a power fail for example).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back