Is this ok?! (joining two wires)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two new ceiling lights in the loft. The power cable comes from a switch into the connector block (to power one light) then a second cable goes out to power the second light.

Does this look ok? All fits (just about) but does seem a lot of cable in a small place.

Nothing is connected to the mains yet.

Cheers!

IMG_4632.JPG
View attachment 135488

Sponsored Links
Thanks Jackrae - I've got to redo it anyway as I have too much grey cable so will do it better.

But the principle is ok?

Sponsored Links
I agree with BAS - further evidence it looks like someone has had to flipped the top cable grip over to try to get the screws to bite. It's not really gripping anything properly now.

If the cables are clipped and the box is fixed, it would be OK without the grips, but I'm guessing it is not.

5EDEF077-EA15-4BFE-8381-9EFFBEF9DF1E.jpeg
I agree with BAS - further evidence it looks like someone has had to flipped the top cable grip over to try to get the screws to bite. It's not really gripping anything properly now.

Are you sure? The instructions actually suggest you may need to flip the grip depending on the cable.

It's an in-line flex connector, designed for extending or repairing the flex on an appliance.

It's not designed for what you are trying to do.

The jb Ban showed you is better, or even one of those enclosed choc-box things, usually with the clear cover.

Interesting. So that's alright to flip it, but they don't suggest it's ok for two cables. Also they only mention flexes not solid cables.
I would personally say trim it back and terminate properly, and fix the box and cables to something solid, then it'd be OK. But opinions may vary.

Since when did "Mains Supply" come in quotes?

It's not ideal. It doesn't like two cables on one side. In the photo the cord grip barely accepts the cables WITHOUT the sheath.

Get the correct connector.

Agreed sparkwright, I was just suggesting a way that didn't require the cord grips - by clipping the cables it would be more like a normal junction box so the lack of functining cord grips would be less of an issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back