Is this oven dangerous?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay so not typically electrics, but wanted to post this here and hope some kind folks could give me their opinions.
My oven stopped heating (fan and everything else running) so assumed element needed replacing, and ordered new one online.
Went to change it and noticed one of the wire's insulation is breached, and although in amongst some glass wool is right next to the metal
body of the oven itself.

Oven not in warranty but now in a position of what to do, so contacted Indesit who told me it wasnt a safety issue. I pressed
and they said they would send someone out but if it was deemed not a safety issue I'd be charged a callout fee.

I'm not crazy though right - this is massively unsafe? (It may look like ive somehow sliced the insulation on that opening, but that opening is
rounded off and it was like that already, i've just pulled them gently through a bit to get to element as per normal.

Attachments

• IMG_2826 2.JPG
    IMG_2826 2.JPG
    396 KB · Views: 115
Sponsored Links
The brown is presumably live and appears to be touching the metal casing. You might be able to pull it out and sleeve it, but definitely a safety issue. There are some very good independent service engineer about who have much lower call out charges than the big players.

Not good. How has that happened? Just roughly pulled through the hole?

I would not think they would deny it is a safety issue but would they then try and blame you?

Although the slot is 'rounded off' on the front surface, those slots are actually pressed out on a big press during manufacture. This will often result in a sharp edge on the unseen side of the slot.
As above, it is a safety issue in its present state, bt can easily be repaired with some heat shrink sleeving, (don't use 'electrical' tape!), and when pushing back into the slot, try to push backwards away from the metal to prevent it scraping again.

Sponsored Links
I imagine that is silicon (or some other heat resistant) wire. Does it feel soft and silky/slippery?

Thanks all.

The brown is presumably live and appears to be touching the metal casing. You might be able to pull it out and sleeve it, but definitely a safety issue. There are some very good independent service engineer about who have much lower call out charges than the big players.

Not good. How has that happened? Just roughly pulled through the hole?

I would not think they would deny it is a safety issue but would they then try and blame you?

I’ve managed to pull the rest through so I can see the entire bit that’s missing (inch or so). I think you’re right though, they’ll blame me.

Although the slot is 'rounded off' on the front surface, those slots are actually pressed out on a big press during manufacture. This will often result in a sharp edge on the unseen side of the slot.
As above, it is a safety issue in its present state, bt can easily be repaired with some heat shrink sleeving, (don't use 'electrical' tape!), and when pushing back into the slot, try to push backwards away from the metal to prevent it scraping again.

I was so careful so if this has happened then it’s a poor design - me guess is it actually happened when it was first connected as I really doubt it happened when I did it. In terms of sleeving im trying to work out how to do this when the spade connectors are in the way which I don’t want to really remove and redo. Perhaps tape the only option?

I would have thought this: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/electrical-tapes/1347340 would be the type of thing you could use to repair the insulation, though there must be better places to buy than having to pay RS prices.....

Interesting I’ve not heard of this stuff - is it particularly good with heat?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back