MCB size for reference method? & Mini Kitchen Consumer Unit

Thanks for your continued efforts EFL, very useful pointers! I'm going to have to do some more reading!

I've been toying with the idea of hiring a loop\insulation tester, or picking one up and then reselling it, but then I'd also need a calibrated screwdriver also
Maybe also a RCD tester. The list goes on...

But it might well give me more confidence that everything is good and might still be cheaper than a (maybe good, maybe bad) sparky if I sold everything on again afterwards.

(The insulation test would be especially comforting, I helped a friend find the cause of trip a while ago just with a cheap voltmeter, it turned out to be a screw in a kitchen cupboard, been there 20 years then started to trip!)

I'm guessing an inspection on an 14 way consumer unit, plus 2 sheds would be around £300, so it might well save a couple of hundred getting the tackle myself.

I'll get back to you and your kind offer of help with the calcs if I go down that route.
I'm beginning to think that the installation is more belt and braces than bodge and scarpa and is on PME so less worry with the earth.
There doesn't seem to be any record of notification on the building regs website for the rewire and I'm guessing it was done in the last 10-12 years(new colours no dates), so that is what made me start to investigate...

Is lack of notice common in that era?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back