IS this paint good for the wooden panneling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was going to paint over with it. Thanks!
IMG_20210910_184913.jpg

Sponsored Links
No
Zinsser BIN as it's a shellac to block knots. Two coats. Will also block any stains from that wood.

Then 2 good coats of water-based undercoat recommend for whatever you use as a top coat.

Satin or eggshell water-based paint would be better. I'd also consider matt paint. Good home brand from B&Q make a matt paint for wood, walls and ceiling.
Gloss will look terrible over that lot.

Give the zinsser a good stir. It dries rapidly so don't stop. Use foam rollers , will need to replace as you go so buy a pack of 10 and a few brushes.

Or remove it all. Depends. That's your options

I'd say that as it is a kitchen it needs a good going over with sugar soap first to degrease it. Zinnser BIN is effectively white French polish (dewaxed) with something like titanium nitrate added to it - depending on where you buy it white French polish may well be cheaper

Sponsored Links
white polish is more expensive here, but thanks for the thought.

No
Zinsser BIN as it's a shellac to block knots. Two coats. Will also block any stains from that wood.

Then 2 good coats of water-based undercoat recommend for whatever you use as a top coat.

Satin or eggshell water-based paint would be better. I'd also consider matt paint. Good home brand from B&Q make a matt paint for wood, walls and ceiling.
Gloss will look terrible over that lot.

Give the zinsser a good stir. It dries rapidly so don't stop. Use foam rollers , will need to replace as you go so buy a pack of 10 and a few brushes.

Or remove it all. Depends. That's your options

The BIN is dman expensive, I dont have to put it on too thickly hopefully?
I can use the same for the top coat as the undercoat right?
Thankyou.

Its the crappiest room in the house, main kitchen downstairs...

Blockade is £37 or fossa block and bond is under £30 so cheaper, but you need to order online.
Saying that Dulux trade centre had an offer on blockade.
Think you will need more than 2.5lt...maybe. Especially with two coats.

The BIN is very thin Vs others so you just need to get a coat on. It has very poor opacity even after 2 coats. it don't matter though.
I say two coats so you have enough on to block knots plus catching the missed areas with the second coat.

If you use the Dulux Satin then I'd use the Dulux matching undercoat...

You can put the top coat over the Shellac but it's going to take a few coats plus not as good as using an undercoat.
Will be easier and better to use undercoat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back