Is this pipework run ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know it's a bit odd, but have 15mm rad pipework that comes from my garage, into what will be a utility room, can't go up through ceiling and drop down as there is a steel in the way, so I have webbed it through the studwork, over the door lining and down to where the vertical rad will be. My question is will this run be ok as it starts on the floor, goes up above the door frame then comes down again, just thinking of airlocks.

WvABMxk.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Go to the point of origin on the pink wall and reroute the pipework at skirting level to the left

Ahh *******s, I was really hoping this wouldn't be the case!!! yes I could reroute to the left, but there is a toilet soil stack tight to the wall which will cause an issue! Is there any other way apart from gunning up the floor, dont really want to do this! why would I get airlocks?

Ahh *******s, I was really hoping this wouldn't be the case!!! yes I could reroute to the left, but there is a toilet soil stack tight to the wall which will cause an issue! Is there any other way apart from gunning up the floor, dont really want to do this! why would I get airlocks?

Because air is less dense than water, air collects at the top of a radiator which is provided with a bleed valve to release it. Any pipe which rises up, then back down, will likewise collect the air, but there is no provision to bleed it out. That radiator it feeds will be a constant source of problems of no flow, needing frequent attempts to clear the airlocks.

I have seen automatic bleed valves used in such circumstances where it cannot be avoided, but both airlocks and the valves are troublesome.

If it's a sealed system or the system head is sufficient then once the air is cleared (with appropriate vents) although not ideal it's generally not a problem have loops...it's common
in flats when you're unable to run all the pipework at floor level.

Because air is less dense than water, air collects at the top of a radiator which is provided with a bleed valve to release it. Any pipe which rises up, then back down, will likewise collect the air, but there is no provision to bleed it out. That radiator it feeds will be a constant source of problems of no flow, needing frequent attempts to clear the airlocks.

I have seen automatic bleed valves used in such circumstances where it cannot be avoided, but both airlocks and the valves are troublesome.

Many thanks for taking the time to explain. I did install auto air valves for the outlet on my shower pump upstairs, but I have heard eventually they fail. I guess I dont really want them sitting behind a wall where I have no access.

If it's a sealed system or the system head is sufficient then once the air is cleared (with appropriate vents) although not ideal it's generally not a problem have loops...it's common
in flats when you're unable to run all the pipework at floor level.

It's a conventional system with header tank in loft, this is on the ground floor. Are you saying you think this may be ok then? Rather not have to undo what I have just done! I hated doing it as it's a crap way of doing things but couldnt see alot of other options apart from chasing floor.

No...running plastic pipework randomly inside walls is a bodge job.
Running copper pipework clipped inside a cupboard and across the ceiling in a flat is a different matter.
With the structural eng.s approval can't you hire a broacher drill and go through the steel?

Don’t use auto air vents. They always seem to be troublesome and leak after a while. Get manual air vents.

No...running plastic pipework randomly inside walls is a bodge job.
Running copper pipework clipped inside a cupboard and across the ceiling in a flat is a different matter.
With the structural eng.s approval can't you hire a broacher drill and go through the steel?

Yeah I can't disagree with you. Bit disappointed with myself on this to be honest. Don't really want to have to go through the steel, will be a real ball ache having an engineer involved too just for a rad. Would probably be easier overall to break up the floor and screed over. Be no issues with this would there?

A couple of holes for 15mm pipes through the web should cause no concern if the beam is correct size.
Use a cordless on a low speed and loads of pressure.

A couple of holes for 15mm pipes through the web should cause no concern if the beam is correct size.
Use a cordless on a low speed and loads of pressure.
Many thanks but how is going up from where the pipes come into the room, over the ceiling and down through the steel any different to what I have already done in terms of airlocks?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back