Is this plumbing charge fair - advice/help needed??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have attached a letter I sent today to a DIY company in response to their request for one hours labour of £65 plus VAT. I hope it is self explantory - all names have been omitted. Am I right in my request or should I pay? I feel a little ripped off right now... Thanks

Many thanks for sending this invoice however I am a little confused. A did indeed attend our home for half an hour (which I assume equates to an hour) and recommended a power flush. I have since contacted three further plumbers who have all come round to provide an estimate and inspection as A did free of charge. These plumbers (general domestic plumbers) have stated that the tank needs to be drained, the gate valves checked for blockage (can only be done once drained) and if this does not resolve the problem then the pipes may need to be dismantled due to the U bends. I have also contacted a power flush company (P) who confirm that a normal water system can not be flushed as the system is similar to a 'tree with branches' as opposed to a central heating system which is 'cyclical'.

Please do not misunderstand me - A was very personable and friendly however the advice does not seem to correlate with that of three general domestic plumbers and a reputable large power flush company (I even spoke with their senior engineer). Moreover the general plumbers have all provided advice and an estimate for work (which they are able to carry out) without any cost. I feel a little like I have been charged £75 for advice that I have received freely and advice that was also incorrect and could have incurred me greater cost if I had carried out a power flush without resolution.

Additionally the invoice states that debris was cleared from the tank however I understand that there was none on inspection. Finally I had already attempted to clear any air lock a week prior to the visit so I had already ruled this out. I do feel that if I was to be charged for this visit I should have been provided with correct advice or at the very least a plumber from your company who was able to undertake the work as other general plumbers have been. Furthermore A informed me that the company would e-mail on the Monday following the appointment to provide us with a plumber who could carry out this work or the name of a power flushing company (not that the latter would have resolved anything). I assumed that due to the lack of plumbers within your company to undertake this work (which seems to be quite a general piece of work) I would not be charged.. I do not feel I should pay for what seems to be incorrect advice and no resolution. I may have taken a different perspective had I received an e-mail from your company providing me another plumber who can carry out this work. I feel I was very clear in my explanation of the problem in my initial e-mail to ensure that a plumber attended who could resolve this issue and therefore the plumber who attended just happened to not expereinced in this area. I do not rest any blame on A for not being able to resolve the issue however I should not have to pay for a tradespersons inexpereince.

I am happy to pay for any travel expenses that A incurred through travelling to our home however am deepily disatisfied at having to pay any further in light of the above. One of the general domestic plumbers that provided me with a free estimate and inspection of my tank/valves/air lock is now going to undertake the work. I do not enjoy a high income and will have to pay a plumber to carry out the work as specified - yet this payment will include a resolution and appropriate correct advice.

I am not trying to evade paying your company however I feel I have good reason to challenge the cost in light of my reasons above. I look forward to your response and consideration of waiving a significant portion of the cost.

Yours sincerely

Sponsored Links
Whoops - sorry. My hot water (no GCH) is limited in flow from all outlets -shortly after the roofer mended the flat roof and water tank lid (which is on the roof). So the general advice is its a gate valve problem or an obstruction from the roof work (which can't be proved conclusively of course). The cold was also initially limited however some bits of wood (the housing of lid of the tank is wooden) came out naturally and it improved. Hope it helps.

Sponsored Links
ok
its alot to read and take in.
but what i can understand is A came round and advised.
and he now wants to charge for coming round.

ok

sounds right as time/eperience costs

we would charge you £57 for coming out and this would be knocked off the price of the work if we were used to do it.

Yes - sorry it is a lot to take in.

Not sure of blocked cold feed.... it is just the hot water coming out of the taps from the water tank/cylinder heater.

Basically plumber advised (incorrectly and would have entailed more expense without resolution) and then charged. Yet three other plumbers provided free advice and estimates as I would have assumed common. If plumber had provided correct advice and it was not a general plumber job then I would understand. However all the plumbers are able to resolve the issue and they weren't (and I wasn't provided with an alterate work person). It feels like I am paying for inexperience and poor advice. I had already done what the plumber had and I am no expert!

ok

sounds right as time/eperience costs

we would charge you £57 for coming out and this would be knocked off the price of the work if we were used to do it.
i do agree diagnose etc is chargable.
but did he tell you when he came or you phoned him hourly rate?
or did you sign anything ?

Thanks kevindgas. I completely understand that - but in this case there did not seem to be any expereince or good knowledge and plumber said unable to fix. Therefore if plumber could have done it (as all others can) - then all would be fine as knocked off price and no probs.

ok

Same here but I gleaned that he came and wrongly advised.

In which case I would be saying 'see you in court mate'

If the advice was something like the others then its fair and payable.

i agree that you got wrong advice for a simple job

as Slugbabydotcomsaid see you in court.
if i can't advise or do the job then i would tell you and walk away no charge.

Fair dos. I did explain the problem via e-mail to the company in detail (as you can probably expect from my long letter!). I was very clear and other plumbers have even advised correctly by phone. I did not sign anything - to be honest I was told by company that plumber would charge but would either fix on spot or provide an estimate. Yet plumber seems to have got round this by saying they can't fix...

Thanks kevindgas. I completely understand that - but in this case there did not seem to be any expereince or good knowledge and plumber said unable to fix. Therefore if plumber could have done it (as all others can) - then all would be fine as knocked off price and no probs.

if i wasn't able to diagnose through lack of knowledge then no I wouldn't charge in that instant, I would however charge if i had diagnosed and you went elsewhere to get job done.

Nothing to do with the plumbing problem per se more to do with you having a contract with the company who are charging you for advice.

Crux of the matter is,

A) Did they inform you of their charges for calling to your home?

&

B) Did you accept their terms before they came?

If yes to both questions then you owe them money ,simple as that.

Having said all of that I wouldn't give them a bean. I would let them take me to court for the money but they won't.

I wouldn't if I were them ,not for £75,simply not worth the hassle but you do run the risk of an irate plumber turning up at your door demanding his money.

Do you need the hassle?

Tony.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back