Is this safe and legal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my daughter is having a landlord's inspection at her property this weekend. I'm interested in your opinions about the set up of the fusebox etc. The whole thing looks dated to me and I know landlords have legal obligations with such things. The fusebox takes cartridge fuses by the way (pic not very clear).
If the set up is not upto the required spec then now is the time to tell the landlord.
I'd appreciate your input. Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi, my daughter is having a landlord's inspection at her property this weekend.
No such thing.
Unless things are hanging off the wall, It will likely be worthless.
Note whether they actually do any testing.

I'm interested in your opinions about the set up of the fusebox etc. The whole thing looks dated to me and I know landlords have legal obligations with such things.
They have a duty of care to ensure it is safe.
Dated does not mean it is not safe.

The fusebox takes cartridge fuses by the way
Nothing wrong with cartridge fuses.

(pic not very clear).
That is true.

If the set up is not upto the required spec then now is the time to tell the landlord.
The meter looks very new.
The consumer unit is old but that does not mean it is not fit for purpose.
Fuses are fail-safe.
MCBs and RCDs are not.

There is no obligation for the landlord to rectify anything other than dangerous situations. If the installation is wired to a previous edition of wiring regulations then improvments will be recommended.
There are ceratin exceptions to this such as a water pipe being used as an earth electrode or voltage operated earth leakage circuit breakers being still in use.
Basically just because an installation is old doesn't mean it is dangerous.

Sponsored Links
The picture is not that clear.
But it may require the earth connection and bonding to be updated.
As far as the fuse board is concerned there is nothing illegal and unsafe about having the type of board you have, there maybe things that are flagged up on the report that does not comply to the current requirements of BS7671:2008 (AMD1) but that does not deem it unsuitable for continue service.

:LOL:

Fuse cover missing, looks like huge hole where tails go in
and possibly some on the top edge we can't see.

When the fuse covers missing on these Wylex units there is plenty of accessable live parts with a small object imagine a curious child with a paperclip.
The main earth looks undersized, And as a guess the bonding conductors are probably undersize or none existant.
Plus the lack of RCD protection
I know if it was my rental property id have that all updated

Well, at least you seem to have PME earthing in there, from the looks of things, and not a dodgy earth taken of a corroded tenby clamp off the incoming mains supply feeder! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

The earthing is hard to call as that design of cut-out (like all modern ones) can be used for any type of earthing.

The cables could be split concentric (possibly 16 mmCu) so it is not a done deal from that picture

When the fuse covers missing on these Wylex units there is plenty of accessible live parts with a small object imagine a curious child with a paperclip.
Like a hairdryer or toaster, for example?

I don't see how this installation is any more dangerous than a regular consumer unit where cable strain can create a small gap between breakers. In this instance, all the CPDs are in place and it does not appear that the front IP rating has been breached.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back