Is this set up okay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We bought a house a year ago, and when we decided to renew the kitchen I found out that the kitchen socket is in a radial setup, looks okay but just want to be sure if this current set up is safe. Have a look at my sketch......

Sponsored Links
It's VERY wrong but at least you have an MCB it's probably totally the wrong rating but it something, nothing should run from the cooker circuit apart from the oven and hob. What KWH rating is your cooker? When was this work done? If you find it was after 2005 you should have received certs when you bought the house.

it's OK but you have a problem if you ever want to use the cooker connector for a cooker.

The circuit could be protected by a 20A MCB. (2.5mm radial)

On the assumption that there is no cooker connected to the 'cooker connector', I agree with OwainDIYer. However, even after you've increased the MCB to 20A, one 20A radial circuit for all of a kitchen isn't very much - and you obviously could never have an electric cooker or oven without a new circuit.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
As others have said you could never have an electric cooker in this circuit and as it is a 15 amp mcb this is telling me probably no rcd protection but the fuse protection is ok for this circuit someone obviously couldn't be bothered to take a new circuit back to the fuse board it's not something I would do but aslong as you always use gas as a source of cooking you will be fine but nothing immediately dangerous from this

Thanks for all the reply, you guessed it right, there is no cooker connected in this circuit. I reckon the previous owner converted the old cooker circuit. Dont worry guys I have no plans of connecting a cooker in this circuit. Many thanks!

:D

Thanks for all the reply, you guessed it right, there is no cooker connected in this circuit. I reckon the previous owner converted the old cooker circuit.
Indeed - I'm sure that's what happened. If he had had the sense to do his conversion with 4mm² cable, he could (very probably) at least have had a 30A/32A MCB, a bit more in keeping with the sort of loads likely to be encountered in a kitchen at times.

As has been pointed out, all those sockets really 'ought' (to be compliant with current regulations - although there is no compulsion for you to bring the situation up to compliance, unless you alter something) to have RCD protection, which they very probably don't.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back