Is this SWA cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I plan to have some garden lighting and need to feed some SWA from near my consumer unit to my garden. I found this cable whilst clearing out my sisters garage and thought it looks like SWA.?
Can anyone confirm this?
Thanks

Attachments

• 5E582A00-E930-4F87-826D-FC92D1AA2FC8.jpeg
    5E582A00-E930-4F87-826D-FC92D1AA2FC8.jpeg
    550.6 KB · Views: 195
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.
As in my first post I wish to feed Power to my garden from my CU which is at the front of the house. I can run the cable under the wooden ground floor of my house to the back but then the issue I have is that I am having an extension on the back and sides and the builder has dug out for the footings. Any ideas on how to bridge the cable across the footings and into the garden?

Put a 50mm (or bigger) plastic sleeve in the footings.

I would not consider SY cable as suitable for direct burial, but ok for a vermin proof sleeve/duct.

Sponsored Links
Ok. If I swap the SY cable for SWA then can I run through the footings?

Yes swa is suitable but run it round the edge of the garden as much as possible and below the level of any possible future digging. Also be sure that it's terminated correctly especially the earth to the armour at the house cu end.
Also supposed to lay tape above and leave a map at the cu of where it runs.
Another option is to clip it to a wall or permanent fence or even a raised cable tray if you can manage to hide the look

Yes the gland is the right way! You'll either need into a metal box or with a banjo loop. However it's not something I can advise on in any more detail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back