Is this switch fused, and what can I replace it with?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have moved in to a property with this on the wall. It controls a pond, some outside lanterns, an outdoor floodlight and 2 spares for external junction boxes.

I am having the wall plastered next week and want to replace this switch with something a bit more visually appealing - something like a long metallic 6 gang switch, but am unsure if I can replace what is currently there with a standard 6 gang switch (like what you would get for light switches).
Can someone tell me if I can use a standard off the shelf (DIY store), switch, or if I need some kind of fused switch (and if so, where I can get one like this)?

Thanks. :confused:

Sponsored Links
What you have there is a grid switch.

It is not fused, they are just switches. Depending on the type of switches, you may be able to replace it with a standard 6 gang switch, but you would lose the neon indicator (bottom right)

You could replace it all with a new grid switch. They are available in lots of nice finishes to match any decor.

Thanks for that.
I can't seem to find a 6 gang in a different arrangement to the one I currently have, They all seem to be 3 x 2, none 6 x 1.
A couple of things - the current switches look to be an older style (narrower), than the ones I am seeing online which look a lot nicer but appear to be bigger/wider, are these ones likely to fit into the current frame, and would a new face plate also be likely to also fit/screw directly in to the current frame?
Also, if I was to get a long 6 gang light switch type one, I keep seeing 'for 6 gang, use 2 x 3 gang yoke', is this referring to the back box required to take a long 6 gang light switch.
Thanks. :)

You can get 6 gang switches like this:

MKK4879.JPG

The only grid that I know of that would allow you to convert to a 2 gang plate as above is the click minigrid range by scolmore.

The switch modules, front plates, and grid frames you have are unfortunately obsolete, and have been for about 20 years now.

You would need to replace the whole lot if you wanted to replace any part of it unless you can find something on ebay etc.

Sponsored Links
or if you are desperate for exactly what you want hamilton will make you pretty much anything you want, in just about any finish. Just done a whole house with a pile of custom mods etc and ordered it all though edmunsons. Not cheap though!

You need to confirm that your existing switch doesn't contain any wiring over 10 amp. For example, one of those switches may be rated at 20 amp and serving something like a 13 amp socket for the pond.

Impossible for us to tell from the picture alone.

Also, some of the switches may be double pole. If this is needed, then the 6 gang plate switch won't offer this.

Do you know what size fuses or MCBs protect ALL of the wiring at the switches?

Hi, thanks for the replies.
The pond, shed and lanterns are protected by a 16A a 10A and a 6A on a MCB coming off the main fuse box protected by a 32A.
The floodlights are on the main downstairs lights ring on a 6A.
On the grid switch, the pond switch is 5A, the rest are 20A.

Can someone suggest exactly what replacement parts I will need based on the above information?
I do not want to keep the current grid switch and would like to replace it with a more up-to-date looking 6 x 1 grid switch (all metallic if possible).

Thanks all.

The pond, shed and lanterns are protected by a 16A a 10A and a 6A on a MCB coming off the main fuse box protected by a 32A.

Do you mean the circuits to the pond, shed and lanterns are off a sub-DB? is it RCD protected?

EDIT: Its not is it? That neon appears to be using earth as a return path instead of neutral! (alos looking at the way the 3-core is, it looks like some of the circuits might share a neutral - though this wouldn't trip an RCD as long as all circuits are on the same RCD)

Do you need a switch on that grid arrangement for the shed itself?

Here's the plates. You want a "2 Gang Plate (3+3) Switch Aperture"

Switches here or here. You want "2 Way 10AX Switch Module"

neon

Other retailers are avalible.

As has been mentioned, your wiring looks a little unconventional. It might be best to have it checked by an electrician to make sure it's safe, and that 10AX switches will be suitable to replace the existing.

That's great, thanks, know what I need to order now.
Finally though ( :rolleyes: :D ), do you know what back box is required to take a 3+3 (I am assuming a double back box (same as for a double socket will fit all of these?)), and are different switch manufacturers interchangeable?

Cheers.

Oh yeah, the guy we bought the house from is an electrician!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back