Is this the remains of a screw? Shower bar broken

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi our showers slide bar has just jumped off the wall

The bottom part is all rusted and I've a horrible feeling this is the remains of the screw stuck in the plug in the wall.

Any idea on how I can get the screw out? I've tried pliers but it's not budging

IMG_20230317_212219.jpg

IMG_20230317_212255.jpg

IMG_20230317_213452.jpg

Sponsored Links
It's definitely a screw and plug, how about mole grips clamped down as tight as you can? Are you fixing the same thing back in the same place?

Agree.
mole grips parallel to the wall? Possible allow some plus gas type oil to soak for a couple of days? Plus G is meant for metal to metal but would wick along and provide some lubrication. Even if it is metal screw to plastic plug?

try carefully levering it out to pull the plug when it’s half way out?

if you have a soldering iron then potentially heating the screw might help - but before the mole grips which would add a massive heat sink

It's definitely a screw and plug, how about mole grips clamped down as tight as you can? Are you fixing the same thing back in the same place?
Yes I was hoping to add a new screw and maybe silicone round the bits to stop it rusting. I'm worried about damaging the tiles.

Agree.
mole grips parallel to the wall? Possible allow some plus gas type oil to soak for a couple of days? Plus G is meant for metal to metal but would wick along and provide some lubrication. Even if it is metal screw to plastic plug?

try carefully levering it out to pull the plug when it’s half way out?

if you have a soldering iron then potentially heating the screw might help - but before the mole grips which would add a massive heat sink
Thank you I'll try some mole grips and heat the screw using my soldering iron. Wait do I heat the screw first? I'm worried the screws going to sheer off.

Sponsored Links
Heat the screw and should melt the plug if you get a good contact for long enough .If screw snaps should be easy enough to drill new hole above or below to refit .

As said, mole grips on that and simply unscrew. It’s only a screw into plastic. If it were a screw into a metal thread that could be a problem but into plastic? That'll be so easy to remove.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back