Is this the result of Part P and more extention leads?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From BBC Welsh News is the introduction of Part P which unlike gas regulations also stops the home owner from installing permanent extensions to there electrical system causing too many extension leads to be used where a more permanent solution should have been used?

Andy Robb, Fire Safety Enforcement Officer for Wrexham, urged people "never to attempt to create homemade solutions to any electrical problems".
I think it's time people started to live in real world where money is tight and return to good old days where fitting of plugs is "Taught" in schools so at least they get it right!

'Qualified electrician'

Mr Robb added: "This is the latest in a spate of fires involving electrical appliances.

"We would urge residents never to attempt to create homemade solutions to any electrical problems.

"If you are going to use an extension lead, it should display the British Kite Standard Mark or an EN number and carry the correct fuseage.

"Also, all older electrical items in your home should be checked over by a qualified electrician to ensure that they are in good working order."

Good advice of course.

Sponsored Links
I'm not Part P's biggest fan, however it's only fair to point out that Part P doesn't stop people making additions, it just requires that if the addition is in a kitchen/bathroom or other special area, or involves a new circuit etc you must notify it. The picture you show is a garage, which isn't a special area, so assuming it was attached to the house there is nothing to stop the homeowner adding more sockets and doing the job properly.

What is described in the article is a home made extension lead, which probably means something like a bit of choc block with lots of things wired in to it or worse...

if they can't be trusted to buy a £2.50 multiway, or make one, can they be trusted to wire in new sockets?

Sponsored Links
Before Part P I like many other commercial Electricians would be asked to do what we referred to as “Foreigners”.

But so often one finds that working on houses something needs doing which would require Part P notification even for jobs which on the face of it seemed Part P free.

I like many others decided it was not worth the hassle and now have given up any work on domestic premises which may require Part P.

This has left those would have been able to get work done for a few drinks now either having to DIY or pay a registered Electrician the going rate.
The latter is of course great but when they from necessary decide to DIY then mistakes are made.

Even in the current climate to find tradesmen who will do the work when you need it can be hard. Most tradesmen want to work the same hours as most other people so getting work done when one is at home is not so easy. But those who did work as “foreigners” did it at exactly the times many home owners wanted. There was no having to take a day off work to let the tradesman into ones house.

As a result I think the “Real DIY” has increased many fold as a direct result of Part P and this has lead to many more dangerous installations then there were before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back