Is this too long

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 6m wide kitchen with a 2m wide utility next to it.

We are laying 900x600x15 limestone floor tiles to both. I understand 6m is acceptable and won't have issues with expansion but do I need to install an expansion joint at the door threshold or can the tiles run through the door meaning that 1-2 rows of tiles will be 8m long?

Sponsored Links
You don't need expansion joints for stone flooring. I have slate tiles all through our downstairs, with the longest run being 8m. I did mine in phases with the oldest down about 4 years now. I used a decoupling membrane (you mentioned you will use one in another thread) and have had no problem with the tiles. Our tiles are in the hallway (L shaped), downstairs toilet, dining room and an area in the living room (to the "back door" - converted barn so strange layout!). When we get the money for the kitchen, we will take the same tiles through into there as well.
It looks nice when the tiles run through from one room to the next.

Do use flexible tile adhesive though. Along with the decoupling mat that will provide enough "give" if the floor moves a bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back