Is this wiring safe?

mxo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an electrician who installed an extra plug socket by running a wire from an existing socket, please see the attached image. Does this wiring meet safety standards/is it legal?

Attachments

• IMG_0086.JPG
    IMG_0086.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 301
Sponsored Links
Assuming the existing socket was suitable to be spurred from, then yes.

Not beautiful, as you can see, but otherwise ok.
White flex would have been better but few seem to care these days.
Did you not discuss the method before he did the work?

The rules about where wires can go and how they should be protected are mostly to avoid hidden wires being damaged, for example by nailing into a wall to hang a picture and hitting a wire that you didn't know was there

If the wire is run along the surface, like this one, it's clearly impossible to accidentally nail through it.

So this is "ugly but not dangerous".

If you were expecting the wire to be buried in the wall - that obviously take much more time for chiselling the slot and plastering over afterwards. That might cost more.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi, I have an electrician who installed an extra plug socket by running a wire from an existing socket, please see the attached image. Does this wiring meet safety standards/is it legal?

Is this what you expected? Why would you want that fugly mess in your house when it could have been done properly?

I am more concerned about the other side, if the cable is not properly secured it might be pulled out of the socket exposing live wires.

Did you not discuss the method before he did the work?
plus_one.gif

We should be alert to the possibility that maxo is a tenant, and the electrician did discuss it with his customer, i.e. the landlord.

But if maxo is the customer and he didn't ask and just went and did that then I would question his claim to be an electrician.

It's also worth asking where that socket in the photo is, seeing as there is no skirting on the wall on the left suggests it's hidden behind something and not on show anyway.

Not saying that's an excuse to leave untidy wiring, but could explain why he thought that would be ok.

Hi, please see attached the other side with the new socket. The older plug socket in the first photo from which the cable runs from is in a cupboard.

Attachments

• IMG_0099.JPG
    IMG_0099.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 140
I made same mistake, I did not detail where every socket should go or how it should be wired, I relied on some warranty of skill on the part of the electrician, however there is nothing which does not comply with regulations, even if it does look bad. Odd as it may seem if he buried the cable then it would have likely not complied.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back