Is this wood burnt or what?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a pretty big wooden wall art of elephants that I've had in the shed for last 2 years (since we moved). Wrapped in bubble wrap.

Just got it our to put on the wall and while pleasantly surprised it isn't broken in any way it has a black part along the bottom.

2ev6x4h.jpg

larger

you can see in one part where I scratched at it and crumbled away. Does that look burnt or what? There is a window in the shed and it would have been in sunlight part of the day, could sunlight have done that?

How should I repair it?

Sponsored Links
Bubble wrap could have acted as a magnifying glass causing the scorch, surprised you didn't have a fire.

I reckon Foxy's right. Never seen that before but what else could it be? :confused:

Certainly looks like its been burnt. I presume your totally sure it wasnt like that when it was wrapped up? Any damage to the bubble wrap?

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Bubble wrap isn't damaged and isn't melted. Considering they're just hollow bubbles i cant see them magnifying the sun's rays, though could have insulated enough to slow bake the wood i guess...

in any case I've started sanding it back, it doesn't run too deep. Though the rest of the piece has a rustic, drift-wood like look and this bit is ending up smooth. And suggestions on rusticising it?

wire brush. No sandpaper.

It was like that when you put it away.

wood needs around 400 degrees to smoulder
if its definitely charred would suspect its been used burned and wrapped up again
for example a barbeque sat on top

It came off the wall and straight into bubble wrap so pretty sure it wasn't like that before being wrapped. Possible the moving company did something to it... but I don't know what it could have been that would burn the wood and not the bubble wrap.
2 years sitting in the sun seems to have a weird effect.

there wasn't a heater off some sort under it was there whilst it was on the wall ??
did the removal company pack it ??

I wrapped it, removal company carried it into their van and then into the house.
Just talked to my wife and she pointed out that it did live in the house for a while before going into the shed, though definitely not near a radiator and definitely hasn't been unwrapped since before the move 2 years ago. It's a mystery...

didnt mean a radiator it has to be an open flame or around 400%
assuming its is as it appears "burnt" then only extreme heat will cause that

the other possibility is rot then discolouration but unlikely as the "residue" looks carbonized like charcoal

Your bubble wrap might have amplified the heat, like a magnifying glass effect. You can try wrapping it with a used paper as an alternative to bubble wraps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back