Is this wood flooring sand-able??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

after a long (2 year) property purchase, we moved in! But savings wiped out cos of flipping rent!!!

so need to save as much as possible.

the wood floors below, are they real wood, and if so can I get rid of the scratches by sanding them?

thanks

mark

Attachments

• 981589AC-05CF-4E32-85CB-D15008EB343C.jpeg
    981589AC-05CF-4E32-85CB-D15008EB343C.jpeg
    298.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 9CDD1657-EC49-4507-9770-840DDE8426E5.jpeg
    9CDD1657-EC49-4507-9770-840DDE8426E5.jpeg
    344 KB · Views: 71
Sponsored Links
They look a lot like laminate, although they might be engineered wood, it's difficult to tell from a photo. Sometimes fitters leave offcuts around (beneath the kitchen units is a favourite), or if there is a slot in washing machine it might be possible to pull that out and get a look at the edge to determine what you have. You could alwaysxyry hand sanding a bit - if it's laminate you'll go through the printed paper pretty quickly

Either way, either engineered wood or laminate, they are neither of them good materials for use in a kitchen (as you can see). A short term solution which should last a few years would be to lay a low cost cushioned vinyl floor over the top of that floor. This will probably cost less than the hire of a floor sander, abrasives and finishing materials. I did this on our current house to cover up the ropey-looking stone floor and it was down nearly 5 years before I got around to replacing it

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but you'll need to be careful, as it looks like engineered oak, so the 'oak' layer may only be 4mm+ in thickness, the rest being plywood.

Don't use any wire wool on there, as this can leave fibres that turn the oak black. (similar to what you have).

Oxalic acid can be used to bleach dark wood, cheap on ebay, but you may see where you've applied it, that said it will be better than it is now.
I finished my floor, solid oak, in OSMO hard wax oil, looks great.

Are you sanding the damaged area or the whole floor?

A point about oxallic acid - the wood needs to be clean, grease free and all finish stripped for itvto work properly

Sponsored Links
It's beyond redemption. You would save money by burning it on a BBQ instead of using the cooker for your next dinner.

And get some cheap lino if things are tight

You could start with a good clean , but as is evident totally unsuitable for kitchen flooring .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back