Is this wrong on door frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got some door frames fitted just before skimming.

he had to give the door frames more depth. He added a flush bead to make it. Someone said they should not have been flush as they always crack.

what do you think?

Sponsored Links
I'm having to do the same, add some depth to the existing frames so he can plaster to them.
otherwise when I fit the architrave the plaster may/will crack.

Just repaint the frames once finished.

See picture to add depth it’s flush. But some people say add a step to stop it cracking

Attachments

• E8489ED4-A2BB-4F6A-A68D-2FDFAD5F6068.jpeg
    E8489ED4-A2BB-4F6A-A68D-2FDFAD5F6068.jpeg
    231.4 KB · Views: 171
Sponsored Links
I would say that any half decent tradesman should know to set back any packing strips to create a quirk or step because, even if they are perfectly fitted, flush add-on strips will generally telegraph through the surface finish, or crack along the joint over time.

As to priming the back, it is generally better to prime any softwood or MDF frame all over before installation and many factory supplied frames and casings are supplied pre-primed to protect them from dirt and moisture in transit as well as from the wet trades (mai ly plasterers) after installation. Hardwood frames and casings are best given a couple of coats of clear, matt lacquer for transport and installation, or be pre-stained and lacquered for the same reasons

This stuff is a bit like sealing the tops and bottoms of doors after shooting a door into an opening - a better tradesman will do that to give the door a longer service life (especially if it is an exterior door), but a lot of guys these days just don't do it. Lack of pride in their work, lack of knowledge or maybe just can't be bothered because it takes too long? I don't know

Last edited by a moderator:
Hanks. It was my dad who said. He is a retired carpenter.

I thought he was doing the “criticise other tradesman thing”

he said “you got a app rounder to donit? “

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back