Is window cleaning a trade?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i now a window cleaner who earns £30 ph he says he deserves it because window cleaning is a trade, mostly he gets paid in cash , doesn't spend any money on materials and he has regular work, so why doesn't more people want to be window cleaners. :confused:

Sponsored Links
it may well be a trade. but not quite job satisfaction is it.
its in the same league as litter pickers,car washers isn't it ?

he deserves it because window cleaning is a trade
Mutley_laughing.gif

It's an essential service, can be lucrative & I’ve no wish to upset any window cleaners but in no way can it be considered a trade.

he deserves it because window cleaning is a trade
Mutley_laughing.gif

It's an essential service, can be lucrative & I’ve no wish to upset any window cleaners but in no way can it be considered a trade.
Try asking the majority of window cleaners, to show you their insurance policy, in the event that they do damage to your property.
You won't see them again.... :mad:

Sponsored Links
trade by definition is a transaction involving goods or services between 2 people this being a trade by a trader

i think what you are refering to is a craft trade as in serving an apprenticship or training to a craft level ;)

trade by definition is a transaction involving goods or services between 2 people this being a trade by a trader

i think what you are refering to is a craft trade as in serving an apprenticship or training to a craft level ;)
Not exclusively & now we’re getting into a play on words;

Definitions of trade:
• the commercial exchange (buying and selling on domestic or international markets) of goods and services; "Venice was an important center of trade ...
• the skilled practice of a practical occupation; "he learned his trade as an apprentice"
• engage in the trade of; "he is merchandising telephone sets"
• the business given to a commercial establishment by its customers; "even before noon there was a considerable patronage"
• turn in as payment or part payment for a purchase; "trade in an old car for a new one"
• deal: a particular instance of buying or selling; "it was a package deal"; "I had no further trade with him"; "he's a master of the business deal"
• be traded at a certain price or under certain conditions; "The stock traded around $20 a share"
• craft: people who perform a particular kind of skilled work; "he represented the craft of brewers"; "as they say in the trade"
• exchange or give (something) in exchange for
• trade wind: steady winds blowing from east to west above and below the equator; "they rode the trade winds going west"
• deal: do business; offer for sale as for one's livelihood; "She deals in gold"; "The brothers sell shoes"
• barter: an equal exchange; "we had no money so we had to live by barter"

Making loads of money is "trading" in one context but I don’t think there is any doubt about the context in which the OP posted or his "window cleaning mate" intended to be interpreted.

It's an engineering trade, that's why they are called, "Vision enhancement engineers." :LOL:

window cleaning is as much of a trade as selling flowers at the roadside.

Always laugh when people turn there nose up at window /wheelie bin cleaners etc as if they are thick as sh#te.
Really thick making a fortune each and every week paid completly in cash very little over heads and once round is up and running very few people cancel.

I am a plumber,various certificates,etc . I like my job mainly doing bathrooms,but since the 1st of may when I left my last employer,(where I was doing a 70 hour shift every second week and not knowing what I was getting paid) i have been window cleaning.

I had done it many years ago,it was in fact the first business I had,so I had an idea what I was getting into.

I now work 8 hours a day when weather permitts(can be small problem) I am home at 4.15 every night and on average earn between16 and 24 pounds per hour at least 4 days a week,the value of the round is £2000 per month and in the lat two weeks i have completed a small bathroom and two call outs for plumbing,from the small advert in the local papers.

It wont suit everyone you need to be customer focused,its unbelievable how people can be upset over a small streak and i don't even charge for them!

No its not a trade,but I am earning more than most trade people and it gives great flexibility.

Will i be doing it in 12 months only time will tell
luv bob

good luck to you bob.

but i draw the line a doing a seventy hour week and not knowing what my pay was.

I THINK YOU AND I HAD A LITTLE DISSCUSSION A FEW WEEKS BACK I WORKED FOR HOMESERVE,
credit crunch or no credit crunch i was not prepared for that kind of hours
bob

oh ya the homeserve man.

they do like to run you round abit.
have you not thought abut joining one of the other companys like homeserve ?

Sponsored Links
Back