Is window cleaning a trade?

Sponsored Links
Window cleaning was voted one of the top ten ideal businesses,

Low capital investment, just a ladder and bucket, cash coming in every day, repeat business,

The downsides are i suppose the weather, people patronising you with comments like "is this your real job"

I gave my window cleaner who came collecting a big tip one christmas, he said thanks and then he jumped into a top of the range BMW and drove off ;)

I had to get rid of my window cleaner recently due to the fact he just did a good line in smearing dirt around the window as opposed to actually cleaning them, trying to charge me for cleaning them while it was raining and leaving streaks all over them.

I wouldn't say its a trade but its definately an aquired skill in order to do a good job at a decent speed.

As it happens they look better now uncleaned than they did when I was paying someone to do them, lol.

Does anyone know a window cleaner that cleans the frames too? Or would that require the skills of a "frame cleaner" and outside the remit of a mere window cleaner? :evil:

It's one of those jobs were you think your few quid once a month is not much, but its where lots of little bits of money adds up to a massive house, posh car and several holidays a year.

Not forgetting the odd peek through the bedroom curtains :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Also being undercut isn't really a problem for W.C.s as has been stated most customers are only paying a few quid a month they will stay with their regular cleaner as they prefer to have some one they know and can trust working on their property.

Does anyone know a window cleaner that cleans the frames too?
Or even a window cleaner who know how to clean windows properly?

When I was a kid the window cleaner would turn up with ladder, bucket, leather and duster. Mum would fill his bucket with clean water - several times if necessary - and off he would go. Washing each pane of glass with the leather and polish dry with the duster.

Now they turn up with a bucket full of dirty water and what looks like a used windscreen wiper. The "after" is frequently difficult to distinguish from the "before"; though the smears usually give it away.

did you work for homeserve as a contractor
What's homeserve got to do with being run over at the traffic lights. Car jacking is safer and the pays better. Hours tend to be a bit unsocialble tho.

i agree with sesco , window cleaning may earn you more but it doesn't give a job satisfaction and reputation in society.

Yeah, but there`s some neat kit come over from The USA :idea: . Filtered/ non-streak water bowser in back of van --long reach brush. Way to Go.

he deserves it because window cleaning is a trade
Mutley_laughing.gif

It's an essential service, can be lucrative & I’ve no wish to upset any window cleaners but in no way can it be considered a trade.
Try asking the majority of window cleaners, to show you their insurance policy, in the event that they do damage to your property.
You won't see them again.... :mad:

Not necessarily true. Most window cleaners that actually do it for their primary job, rather than beer money, have public liability insurance. You won't get a commercial cleaning contract without it.

I have the perfect opportunity it get my feet wet in window cleaning. I have a regular dusty who spends half his time in Australia and the other half in Palos Verdes. I do their carpets and upholstery. They usually just leave a lock box for me to go to and I let myself in and clean away.

Now they want their windows clean and I'm thinking this is the perfect time for em to give this a go. No one will be there watching me make a fool of myself.

So can anyone tell me the necessary tools I'll need? I'm in the process of ordering a gang of stuff from Jon Don right now so I'm hoping I can get the stuff from the,

Any advice to tips is appreciated. Thanks!
As you live in the USA, I don't think posting on an archived topic in an English DIY forum, is actually the best source of advice.
You will need to follow American regulations regarding business registration, insurance, advertising etc.

Sponsored Links
Back