Island hob extracter needs installer right where RSJ is

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We have recently had our kitchen diner knocked through in to one room and have an RSJ obviously holding up the upstairs as it was a structural wall that was removed.

The issue I have now is that where the hob is being installed we are having an island hob extractor above it as it's on a kind of island/breakfast bar. The problem is right where the extractor needs installing is the RSJ. Whats the best way around this, the extractor mounting plate is too big to fit to the RSJ (which i wouldnt want to do and probably shouldnt do anyway) is the best way to screw some kind of timber noggins into the joists either side of the RSJ and then fit some ply to those then screw the mounting plate to that?

Any other suggestions at all or is what I'm thinking an OK idea? Just dont want it to look crap as its a really nice kitchen thats been fitted.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
It was the only place the hob could go, there is physically no other place where it would go that was the only place for it unfortunately.

Does my suggestion sound feasible?

Sponsored Links
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but they dont work. if you have spent as much as it appears you have, then you need to find a way of scissoring ducting to the rsj and feeding it outside. The ducting and rsj can be boxed in in the way you have described.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back