Isolating valves on basins, toilets, etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new bathroom fitted some two years ago. Am having problem with the toilet bowl having a constant flow from the tank. On looking for an isolating valve to shut off until repair I discover that the one fitted is quite inaccessible and it is impossible to get a screwdriver on it.
On examining the two basin valves I find both are facing away from any possibility of getting a screw-driver on also.
Are there any rules or regs re these things please.

Sponsored Links
The first rule is to avoid a plumber that fits a valve in a non usable position.

I am a GSE, rather than a plumber, but I believe that service valves are required. The regs possibly do not stipulate the position of the valve, as they assume an idiot is not fitting them.

Why not phone the installer, and ask him to fit them correctly. It may be that he entrusted the task to an assistant, and did not check the work.

Have you tried either a very long screwdriver, or a very short stubby? (obviously dependant on the actual issue)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back